Should I worry about the crows?

I have read varying opinions on this and am just looking for more feedback. My 15 week old pullets free range most of the day and have been pretty good about staying in covered areas. I am supervising them on and off- sometimes I'll be right out there with them and sometimes I will go inside for a 30 min to an hour and then check on them. Anyway, this past week I have noticed an increase in crow activity, seeing groups flying in the distance and crowing. I went inside to take a shower just now and when I came out, about ten crows were landing and flying in the front yard (the chickens were in the back under the mountain laurel at the time). I do not recall ever seeing crows hang out here like that in the past 3 years we have been here. Should I be vigilant of them as I would hawks? I've read that one crow probably won't be a problem but a group of them could be. Could they have discovered the chickens and now are interested? Anyone with experience with this? Are my chickens old enough and big enough to be safe from crows? Below are some pictures of the chickens. I have 2 buff orpingtons, 2 EE, and 2 red sex links (my smallest and probably easiest to pick up since they are lighter) thank you.

Attachments

• 20200716_192847.jpg
    20200716_192847.jpg
    815.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200716_184410.jpg
    20200716_184410.jpg
    750.4 KB · Views: 8
Should I be vigilant of them as I would hawks?
Crows will still eggs and chicks given the opportunity or MAYBE feed but won't be an issue for the pullets.

Crows are actually known to gang up on and chase hawks away, pulling feathers and bomb diving them at times... NOT always.

When I see crow activity I look for hawks! The crows scream at and harass the hawks until they leave.. essentially blowing their cover.. a VERY good tactic to get rid of an ambush predator!

Once in a while a murder of them will be around here or there.. they are scavengers in large part.. I've seen them steal steaks right off the barbecue, cat food, etc.. they like eating but aren't what I would consider to be birds of prey.

Beyond that, they MIGHT be carrying lice, northern fowl mite, or internal parasites like round worm, (MAYBE Marek's or New Castle, just a thought not verified) etc.. so I never roll out the welcome mat extra to invite wild birds of any type.

Over all I would not consider it too much of an issue, They are likely just passers by. Lovely flock! :D

Crows will still eggs and chicks given the opportunity or MAYBE feed but won't be an issue for the pullets.

Crows are actually known to gang up on and chase hawks away, pulling feathers and bomb diving them at times... NOT always.

When I see crow activity I look for hawks! The crows scream at and harass the hawks until they leave.. essentially blowing their cover.. a VERY good tactic to get rid of an ambush predator!

Once in a while a murder of them will be around here or there.. they are scavengers in large part.. I've seen them steal steaks right off the barbecue, cat food, etc.. they like eating but aren't what I would consider to be birds of prey.

Beyond that, they MIGHT be carrying lice, northern fowl mite, or internal parasites like round worm, (MAYBE Marek's or New Castle, just a thought not verified) etc.. so I never roll out the welcome mat extra to invite wild birds of any type.

Over all I would not consider it too much of an issue, They are likely just passers by. Lovely flock! :D

Thank you. My birds do not seem in high alert with the crows, they notice them and stay covered but do not become super vigilant like they do for a hawk. I have not noticed any hawks lately thankfully. I'll continue to supervise but I won't keep chasing the crows off the lawn then. I'll just make sure I know the chickens are covered and safe.

Back
Top Bottom