Should I worry about the way my chickens are dying?

shirechickens

In the Brooder
Sep 10, 2020
So I currently have two hybrid pullets (and some chicks in the house!) One of the girls is about three and a half and I think she's on her way out - she's slow, is retaining water around her abdomen, has a reduced appetite and has green diarrhoea. This is the way my hens typically (not always, but the majority of the time) seem to die between the ages of about 2.5 to 3.5 - I seem to be able to delay the inevitable for a while with probiotic yoghurt, but there's always a slow decline in this way leading up to death.

Is it normal for chickens to die in this way when they get old, or do I have a problem? The reason I ask is because I will be moving my chicks out to the shed that sits next to my coop when they are 6-7 weeks old, and I don't want to expose them to something their immature systems can't deal with.

Sorry, I forgot to add - I have a run that’s 6 feet x 12 feet and during the day the chickens can also roam in an area that’s about three times the size of the run. The run has wood chippings in it, and the larger area is bare soil.

Sounds like a reproductive disorder.
If you want to find out more, then when she dies, either perform an informal necropsy yourself or send the body for analysis at your state lab.

Water in the abdomen can often be from reproductive cancer, EYP, Salpingitis and/or organ dysfunction.
Supportive care can including draining the fluid to make them more comfortable, seeing that the crop is emptying and addressing any other symptoms as they arise.

So I currently have two hybrid pullets (and some chicks in the house!) One of the girls is about three and a half and I think she's on her way out - she's slow, is retaining water around her abdomen, has a reduced appetite and has green diarrhoea. This is the way my hens typically (not always, but the majority of the time) seem to die between the ages of about 2.5 to 3.5 - I seem to be able to delay the inevitable for a while with probiotic yoghurt, but there's always a slow decline in this way leading up to death.
What sort of hybrids?
Where did they come from?
This is the sort of lifespan you can expect from Ex Battery hens.

What sort of hybrids?
Where did they come from?
This is the sort of lifespan you can expect from Ex Battery hens.
I've mostly had RIR crosses - I've bought from two local breeders in the past. They basically lay non-stop for about 18 months, then slow down and stop laying very rapidly. And then a year to 18 months later I lose them.

I've mostly had RIR crosses - I've bought from two local breeders in the past. They basically lay non-stop for about 18 months, then slow down and stop laying very rapidly. And then a year to 18 months later I lose them.
What exactly is your concern? What would you want from your chickens? Longer life? It you are simply wondering whether yours are demonstrating usual behaviour and life span to many high production breeds then the answer is yes.
I think it's terrible but it is the way it is with such breeds.
The simple answer if you find the lifespan of such breeds unacceptable don't buy them.
I'm looking after a mix of Ex Battery hens and rescues currently. The Ex battery hens are Red Sex Links and Golden Comets. Haven't had a single Red Sex Link hen make it past 4 years old. There is one Golden Comet who looks like she may make it to 4 years old which is exeptional.
The Rescues mostly Legbars and Legbar crosses are faring better, reaching six to seven years old so far.
Before this I cared for free range Marans, Marans and Bantam crosses and Catalana del Pratts. The ledest living hen was Marans at ten years old when I left Catalonia. The eldest (no longer living) reached 11-12 years old and she was a bantam. Predation was what lowered the average life span rather than illness in all cases.
The right breeds with decent genetics kept in the right circumstances are quite capable of living to 10 and 12 years old, sometimes more. Ime Bantams have tended to live longer than so called heritage dual purpose breeds.

What exactly is your concern? What would you want from your chickens? Longer life? It you are simply wondering whether yours are demonstrating usual behaviour and life span to many high production breeds then the answer is yes.
I think it's terrible but it is the way it is with such breeds.
The simple answer if you find the lifespan of such breeds unacceptable don't buy them.
I'm looking after a mix of Ex Battery hens and rescues currently. The Ex battery hens are Red Sex Links and Golden Comets. Haven't had a single Red Sex Link hen make it past 4 years old. There is one Golden Comet who looks like she may make it to 4 years old which is exeptional.
The Rescues mostly Legbars and Legbar crosses are faring better, reaching six to seven years old so far.
Before this I cared for free range Marans, Marans and Bantam crosses and Catalana del Pratts. The ledest living hen was Marans at ten years old when I left Catalonia. The eldest (no longer living) reached 11-12 years old and she was a bantam. Predation was what lowered the average life span rather than illness in all cases.
The right breeds with decent genetics kept in the right circumstances are quite capable of living to 10 and 12 years old, sometimes more. Ime Bantams have tended to live longer than so called heritage dual purpose breeds.
Yes that exactly it - I'm just wondering if this is normal or there's something else amiss, and also whether there's a risk of anything infectious that may put the chicks at risk when I move them into the area. I am seriously considering moving to heritage breeds if I can find a source - not easy to do round here but think I need to make more effort to do so. Thanks for your answer - very interesting.

Thanks very much for your reply - I just cleaned out the coop and found a lash egg, so I suspect you are right about salpingitis. I wish hybrids weren't bred for such ferocious egg production - I'd much rather they lived longer and laid less! Poor girl.

The first 18months is usually the best production time for most breeds.
Then it's time for molt at around that 18mo mark (give or take), so they will take a break from laying eggs (most hens do anyway). For most this is in the fall, when days are getting shorter, so often production doesn't ramp back up until after winter solstice late in December. But it's not been too uncommon for me not to see a pick up until Jan/Feb, depending on the age of the hen. The following months and years, production is going to be less.

There doesn't always seem to be a solid answer and what breeds live longer. I have a couple of hatchery hens that are 7 years old, one is slowing up with some issues, the other is going pretty strong. I have Heritage breeds that are 4 years old, not too many issues yet. I have also lost some anywhere from 9 months to 2-4 yrs old, every one of them, it was some reproductive problem. Usually cancer, but I've seen EYP and rupture as well. It can be disheartening for sure.

I do think genetics play a roll. The most prolific layers I've had seemed to be the first to start having some issues.

Finding a Lash Egg, answers some of your questions about what is ailing your hens. Even if caught early and treating them, could possibly extend life, but sadly there is no cure.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
https://the-chicken-chick.com/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by/

The first 18months is usually the best production time for most breeds.
Then it's time for molt at around that 18mo mark (give or take), so they will take a break from laying eggs (most hens do anyway). For most this is in the fall, when days are getting shorter, so often production doesn't ramp back up until after winter solstice late in December. But it's not been too uncommon for me not to see a pick up until Jan/Feb, depending on the age of the hen. The following months and years, production is going to be less.

There doesn't always seem to be a solid answer and what breeds live longer. I have a couple of hatchery hens that are 7 years old, one is slowing up with some issues, the other is going pretty strong. I have Heritage breeds that are 4 years old, not too many issues yet. I have also lost some anywhere from 9 months to 2-4 yrs old, every one of them, it was some reproductive problem. Usually cancer, but I've seen EYP and rupture as well. It can be disheartening for sure.

I do think genetics play a roll. The most prolific layers I've had seemed to be the first to start having some issues.

Finding a Lash Egg, answers some of your questions about what is ailing your hens. Even if caught early and treating them, could possibly extend life, but sadly there is no cure.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
https://the-chicken-chick.com/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by/
Thanks so much for the information. Unfortunately she's going downhill fast so I will do what I can for her but suspect I'll need to put her down soon.

Back
Top Bottom