1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I worry about worming my chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Dec 26, 2011.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    My hens are about 9-10 months old and I was wondering if I had to worry about worming them and if so how often? I have never wormed them before. I am just worried that maybe we could get worms from eating their eggs?

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    [​IMG] I would like to know too?

3. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    you won't be getting worms from eatting their eggs (though there have been records of worms making their way into an egg...but you would see it, and it is very uncommon). Chances are, any worms they are carrying are species that won't affect you, and even if they were carring parasites that could feed on you, after cooking, they should not be viable anymore. I would however worm them. I have read too much here on BYC about people who tried all natural ways to raise chickens, and have lost birds to heavy parasite loads. I occasionally worm mine in the winter when they have all stopped laying...no egg withdrawl.

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Could I use apple cider vinegar for my chickens (and have the same result as a commercial wormer?). How often should I add ACV to their water and how much?

5. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    ACV will simply increase the acidity of the GI tract, and while it might help, it will not replace a comercial wormer.

6. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    You should not worry about worming them. However i would suggest worming them at least once a year or when you see signs of worms in their poo. winter time or slow laying is a good time to worm. I use sumlet and have never lost a bird to worms or the medication.

7. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    ive had chickens for 3 yars so far and never have or had to worm them, i do look out for signs and stuff but non have had any so far

8. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    sunny & the 5 egg layers :

Could I use apple cider vinegar for my chickens (and have the same result as a commercial wormer?). How often should I add ACV to their water and how much?

I use cayenne pepper it seems to work good for me.

Hope this helps! [​IMG]

9. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    The thing is you won't always see the worms, some are very small. I personally worm my chick a few times before they reach laying age. Once they are old enough to lay I worm about once a year, normally when they all take a break. There is a withdrawal period for many commercial dewormers, but you can use try to use preventives. I think that is what things like apple cider vinegar and such come in to play.

10. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    My chickens are 9 months and I never wormed them either. I haven't noticed any "signs" of them either. I do use ACV and keep the run and coop pretty clean, they free range most of the day too.

@ thepigeonkid, how do you use the cayenne pepper? And, how much? Sounds very interesting.

Mine have yet to slow down laying and I can't stand the thought of throwing away all those eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by