1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should i worry if my hen is off her nest for a few hours?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SkyBlueJar, May 18, 2016.

1. SkyBlueJar

SkyBlueJar Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    How long can a mom leave the nest without chilling the eggs to death? Thanks to anyone who can help!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'm actually not sure. I would think it would depend on the temperature in the coop...and possibly the day/stage of development. I think the longest I remember a hen being off the nest was an hour or so. But if it's a warm day, I wouldn't stress over 2-3 hours...

Now, if it's longer than that, I would wonder if she's done with it...

3. SkyBlueJar

Apr 3, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    Every morning I open her pen and she goes out to bathe (she's a duck). Then if I shoo her back into the coop she'll resume sitting all day. But if I don't then she keeps playing in the yard for a few hours. It's very early in the brooding process, so hopefully the eggs haven't been harmed. The weather has been cool.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Ohhhh...ducks! My neighbor has ducks (muscovies), and it seems like their ducks don't get serious about brooding until there's a decent collection of eggs built up - so maybe that'll be your girl too.

5. SkyBlueJar

Apr 3, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    Good point. She's got 16 and just recently started sitting on them. She'll sit on them all night, and then leave for a coffee break in the morning, letting those toasty warm eggs cool off for a few hours before sitting on them again for the next 20 consecutive hours... I hope she knows what she's doing? :lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by