Should I worry? strange bird found in Pheasants pen today

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by ticks, Mar 23, 2009.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I went to give my birds some food and water today after school when I noticed a miniature little mourning dove flying around in the flight pen. I caught it in a fish net, they are delicate little things, I was kidna rough with it. I let it out and it flew normally, nothing was wrong, it didn't seem sick, but should I worry that my Pheasants will get a disease from this bird?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I honestly wouldnt worry too much about it. Birds fly over all the time im sure and poo in the pen as they fly over the netting. What i mean by that is i think if your pheasants would get sick from that bird they would have already by the other birds naturally flying by. Least i'd think. Im sure they will be fine [​IMG]

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Thank you. I have also had hawks sitting on top of the cage (eeeek) and some of their poop has gotten in the cage also, this bird just happend to come a little too close than it wanted to!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  4. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I wouldn't worry about it

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:yeah eek is right! LOL! what kinda netting do you use by the way? i want to get some for hawk-keeping-out-protection for my marans, and the quails i want to let "free range". lol

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    This kind! haha, whats it called?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The owner of the hatchery I buy from has had hawks and other raptors rip through this stuff, if they were desperate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by