Should I worry? Turkeys gone with wild ones...

spook

Songster
11 Years
Apr 21, 2008
North Central Florida
I hope that my 2 Narragansett turkeys will return to me. This noon our new to us Tom turkey and he is in love with quite possibly anything that stands still, including his reflection in the car, storm windows, chicken house window.
We have had them for 3 weeks now left them in their pen and garage for a good 2 weeks and possibly a few days more, well today I decided that they needed to be trusted.
After I went in, we looked out to find 'romeo' (is what I call him- not his name) was taking a shinning to a wild girl...

9241_nic_wild_turk.jpg

Which I thought it was cute, until he was in need of following her.

9241_nicturkeywild.jpg

Then I saw our Narri hen disappear with the mixed pair. Keeping an eye on them, 3 large toms rolled him down over the knoll, he was panting, I'm concerned. Molly, the hen and two wild hens come strolling in to look at food in the pen, but saw me and they flew off, while Molly ran back to the Tom.

Needless to say after all that animal drama in the back yard, did I just loose our pair of turkeys?
The hen went off with the other females, wild toms are guarding to make sure our tom stays here.

What do you think seeings I'm a new turkey owner- I hope...

Last edited:
If you did not raise them on your property and had them penned for less than 3 weeks and had no established flock for them to join then chances are you will not be seeing them again.

When Wilds of Pa sees this it is going to get ugly.
wink.png

I was told that giving them 2 weeks that they would come back for food...
barnie.gif
I knew I was going to be a bad Turkey momma.
I did just look out and they are near the property, but I can see a lot of errors and kinda at a loss of what to do besides keep the pen open and go from there.

Thank you for being honest!

That is somebodies name here. In alot of states it's against the game bird laws to allow wild and domesticated turkeys to mix.

Steve in NC

Well, this was certainly not by choice! I tried all afternoon and evening to get them back. I hope that at some point they will come back to eat when I can be behind them, but, to many people feed the wild turkeys and when the wild hens were coming down, the two I had were working at the fence.
I'll fess up to the Game Warden if they don't return, and I know turkey hunters enough that would take them out.
What a shame. All I need is someone blasting me. But I turned my back for one minute.

Since they're both wing clipped, they can't fly off. Do you know anyone who can try to catch them for you? Since they are wing clipped, they don't stand much of a chance if they do run off with the wild flock, since a coyote or dog can probably catch them pretty easily. Maybe you can leave food in a large fenced area and lure them in and shut the gate. The wilds could fly out and the Narris can't (just watch out for the "flapping fence climbing" that clipped birds sometimes do).

They never wandered off when the wild turkeys came around, but they were born and raised here and the older birds stick around so they stayed with their known flock.

I'm really sorry to hear they got away from you. Don't blame yourself, tho, things like this can and do happen to poultry owners.

Back
Top Bottom