1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I worry??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MamaDucken, Apr 19, 2016.

1. MamaDucken

MamaDucken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2016
    Monahans, Texas
    My ducks have started eating the pellets I put out for my big hens. Two of them are still pretty young. Should I worry about this and do something or is it okay??

2. MamaDucken

Apr 12, 2016
    Monahans, Texas
    I do have chick starter set out for them and the smaller chickens.

3. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Hi! Looks like no one responded! How old are these little ones?

My first concern if they're young would be improper protein ratio and vitamin deficiencies. Also, is this a layer mix?

4. cayugaducklady

cayugaducklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    None of my ducks will eat pellets. I tried really hard to encourage it.

I've read that ducklings shouldn't have layer feeds while they're growing because layer feed has too much calcium for their quickly growing bodies.

If they're experimenting with the big bird food and still eating majority of their ration it might be OK.

5. MamaDucken

Apr 12, 2016
    Monahans, Texas

Hi! 3 of them are starting to lose their baby feathers and the other 2 are just a few weeks. The two younger ones follow the bigger ones around, so if the big ones are tasting the pellets, the littles are right there with them.

They don't seem to mind it. They will eat the pellets and the chick starter. I just don't want them to end up dying because they aren't eating their proper food. I keep both foods out, just so everyone has their food. The big hens love the chick starter as well, so in the mornings, I let the hens out and put the pellets out and feed the littles their starter and then I'll let the littles out into the run with the hens after about an hour.

6. MamaDucken

Apr 12, 2016
    Monahans, Texas
    [​IMG]
    Here's a picture of one of the bigger ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by