1. hop_skip_anda_heartbeat

hop_skip_anda_heartbeat In the Brooder

May 22, 2019
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Hi All,

So I have a blue laced red wing wyandotte in a flock of 15. I purchased everyone in March and they have grown up together, recently moving out permanently into the coop at the end of April/early May. I am not sure if I should be concerned about her or not? She seems to keep to herself quite a bit and just stand around or lay down. She roosts with everyone at night, eats with everyone just fine, and doesn't shy away if others come to her space. She appears alert, clear eyes, dry nose, waddles/comb are a fine shape and color, fully feathered, doesn't appear to have any bleeding or bruising, vent doesn't appear to be blocked. She doesn't appear to be bullied or have any signs of being pecked at. Being held isn't her favorite, so when I get near her standing/laying down she will get up fine and "run" away from me.

Are some chickens just introverted and healthy? Or could there be something else at play here? I'm currently reading through "The Chicken Health Handbook second edition", but thought you guys might be helpful with some of your thoughts?

Also may be important to note that I live in Salt Lake City which is usually dry and hot, but so far this May it has stayed in spring weather (60's days and 40's nights) with A LOT of rain this week.

The Chicken Whisperer likes this.
  2. The Chicken Whisperer

The Chicken Whisperer Songster

Jul 4, 2018
    I have several perfectly healthy introverted chickens who prefer sticking to themselves. It should be normal unless she stops eating or her eyes get cloudy. Could you post pictures?

3. hop_skip_anda_heartbeat

hop_skip_anda_heartbeat In the Brooder

May 22, 2019
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Thanks so much! Here are a couple pictures of her while eating today. She must just be introverted. :)

Attached Files:

4. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    She's gorgeous! :love

My Buff Orp was like that for a time around 5-6 months old. Her seclusion did result in some bullying but it passed.

She seems healthy and fine! And by the time you get her figured out she'll probably change again and you'll wonder how she was ever so shy!

5. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    Oh, and welcome!!! :welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: