Should I Worry?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by anbhean, Aug 2, 2010.

1. anbhean

anbhean Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2010
    Colorado
    My first hen to lay started laying last Friday and had one Friday night and one Saturday night. Both normal, good sized eggs. Sunday and Monday though and no new eggs. I picked her up and felt her tummy and rear today and she seems normal. No poo issues that I can decipher. Clean vent. But in all honesty, I wouldn't know what I was feeling, or maybe looking for if it hit me in the head and said "Hey dummy, I'm a stuck egg!". [​IMG]

Is this unusual? Should I worry? Or are pauses in laying for a new layer pretty standard?

2. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    How old is your chicken? My young pullets lay one here and there for weeks before they get regular...

3. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    VERY NORMAL. She will be a regular machine in a couple of weeks, it is normal for them to take a few days off.

4. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

My leghorns laid like crazy when they first started. Big jumbo eggs but not every day. They have settled down to medium and large just about every day. All my new pullets, all ten of them were kind of eratic when they first started and I got some of the cutest baby eggs at first. You can also expect a shelless egg at first or one with a thin shell and this is normal.

5. anbhean

anbhean Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2010
    Colorado
    Glad to hear it's not unusual for a young pullet (app. 20 weeks), thanks everyone! I feel a lot better now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by