Should I worry?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ginger c., May 7, 2011.

1. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    The last couple of times I walked into the brooder room to check on the little ladies I found my SLW (abt 4 weeks) standing on top of my tiny EE (abt 3 weeks and very small). I went in because I heard someone peep very loudly. When I catch them, the EE is laying on her belly and ths SLW is standing (or laying) on her back. The odd thing is, the EE doesn't seem that upset when I walk in.

Should I be worried? Is the SLW picking on her? Does this mean my SLW might be a Timmy instead of Tammy?

Thanks in advance,

GC's DH

2. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    I think they may be too young for any "flirting" going on. Maybe they are cold and trying to get warm? Chicks can do some unusual things,..but if they are piling on top of each other it is usually due to trying to get warm at that age. [​IMG]

3. ginger c.

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:They should be warm. I turn the light back on at night. It's about 80 in the brooder and they are 3-4 weeks. I've been keeping it a little cooler during the day and only using the lamp when ambient temps drop below 70. Maybe the little one is cold. LOL.

I'm trying to get the acclimated to daytime temps. Maybe I am raising and lowering temp too much?

4. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    Try putting something else in there for them to stand on, if you don't already have something. A log, a rock, a brick??? Maybe they will stand on that instead of your chick.

5. ginger c.

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:They have a large limb that all four roost on. I didn't catch them doing it today at least. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by