Should I Worry?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MEMama3, Oct 23, 2013.

1. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    My pullet started laying a little over a month ago. She was 24 weeks to the day on the first day she laid. She laid pretty much every day with the random day off, but never more than one day between eggs. I had posted a little over a week ago that her last four eggs were getting smaller and lighter in color. Her last egg was pure white (she's a buff orp). I haven't gotten a single egg from her since that white egg. It's been seven days.

Everyone else is laying steadily. They are on artificial light to bring them to just over 14 hours. There is no sign of mites or worms. She is acting normally. The only potential stress may have been my covering their run with plastic, but no one seemed stressed about it.

Should I be worrying about her?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  2. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    It may be worth mentioning that she sits in the nest box on and off throughout the day.

3. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    Another day of no eggs. Anyone have any thoughts?

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    She may be broody or molting.

5. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    She doesn't seem to be broody (I have a silkie mix who tries to go ever other week lol) and her feathers are showing no sign of molt. Would she be going into a molt at 7 1/2 months old?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by