Should I?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Big Dreamer, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Well eventually i was going to give away my muscovies once they had some babies and i got some eggs outta them, but if that happens i only have my male pekin left. Well would it be ok if i got a bunch of different breeds? what i was thinking was to get pairs 1 boy 1 girl, so 2 wlesh harlequins, 2 runners, 2 khaki cambells, and then maybe get a girlfriend for my pekin boy...Would that work out? If so would the pen i have now be ok for 7 or 8 ducks? if you havent seen it, its 10ft by 38ft give or take a few.

2. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    OR should i just get all the same breed?

Also are runners and khaki cambells loud or just moderate??

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

You know they will not breed within its breed, unless you separate them. Plus the ratio is off and you will have drake fights. You should have 3 girls for one boy.

4. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Ok thanks, i actually just thought about that, and you say they wont mate with the same breed? maybe ill just get some runners and wlesh harlequin, those are the ones i want most. Thanks for reminding me about the drake fights again!

5. katharinad

They will mix and match when it comes to breeding. One drake may shower all the different girls. He may stay within his breed, but more likely doesn't care as long as he gets some fun action going. Also consider to have them all in the same weight group so there will be no injuries on the smaller girls from a bigger guy.

Forgot to mention that several boys can team up on one girl and really hurt or even drown her while in water. Many say 1 boy for 3 girls is the a good ratio, but 1 boy and 6-9 girls is absolutely fine. After that you miss out on fertility. Many large hatcheries go for the 6-9 ratio to cut back on drake fights.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  6. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Yeah, i have a jumbo pekin male, so i might have to seperate them or do something

7. katharinad

Get a large breed. I have Soxonies and they are the sweetest ones you can think off. They are not running around being skiddish like many runners do.

8. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    idk, i really wanted welsh harlequins and runners, but i dont want my pekin to get boogey with them to ruff, i really dont know what to do, cuz i dont want little mule ducks running around part muscovy and part pekin, and i CANT get rid of my pekin, i love him to much, i think ill just see what happens with everything and i have a divider if i really need it, so just keep shooting things in my direction and i can see what i can do

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by