Should I??????/

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well, I have been having a huge problem with my broody buff duck, she is currently sitting on 17 eggs.

Right now, there are a few factors that have her in danger and im not sure what to do about it [​IMG]

The goats keep getting into the kennel with her and either running her out or stepping all over the eggs.

A six foot snake , not sure of the breed becuase i just came back from out of state, was found in my feed room, which is not but a few yards from my broody hen.

This rain is terrible, making everything muddy .

And now I am having an ant problem.

I am in the process of trying to convince my father to either build a house or to buy one. Ive been trying to find a cheap one at yard sales but thats not going to good. I want a sort of small shed. Something I can put my goats and ducks in, where they each have some space as well as room for a small tub of water on the inside.

So at the moment I dont have many alternatives.

Im just wondering if, while I am not outside, I should cover the opening of the kennel entirely with rat wire? My problem is she wouldnt be able to get out, but then again, everything could stay out [​IMG]

Advice? Tips?All appriciated [​IMG]

2. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    are you able to post pics of your setup? It's much easier to get help that way! [​IMG]

3. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Sure! I feel sort of embarrassed though, it is a mess at the moment! But ill post them in a moment [​IMG]

4. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    If its what i'm imagining in my head, i recommend making just a peaked roof over her out of 2 boards. If you leave a 2 ft gap or so she should still be able to hop out. I'll wait for pics and see if i can help more.

5. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    [​IMG]

This is the kennel she is in, There is rat wire in the front to sort of cover the largest part. The buckets on the site are water buckets, to take up space as well as keep the goats from stepping on and over into the kennel.

[​IMG]

A side view, the boards are there to keep the goats from jumping on top of the kennel.

[​IMG]

The front of the kennel, with the rat wire and water boundaries

Ill post more pics if you need more to work with. My main concern is the snakes getting to her or the eggs, the goats havent tried to get in yet so im not sure if it is goat proof. I dont know how I am going to deal with the ants that the storm and rains have stirred up [​IMG]

6. Chicabee19

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I can see how you are keeping the goats out using those barrels of water and the wood deck piece... You could stand that wood straight up and hold it in place somehow.

the snake is a whole 'nother matter.

I would just pick up the whole pet carrier and put it in my house or garage, or on a porch or deck where the snake can't get to it!

7. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    We have a florida room, but mom says thats a no no, plus I dont want to seperate her from the two drakes she shares the pen with. But, I do have a rabbit pen that I could place her in , but that would involve Moving everything in the kennel into the rabbit pen, plus she wouldnt be able to get out [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have a chicken coop next to it, but that is the "goats".

8. Chicabee19

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    hmmm... i see your dilemma.

maybe you'll have to pen her up in that cage on the left -- seems like there's enough room for her to get out of the nest and walk around some, eat and drink.

OR... you could go and let her out, then let her back in by hand.

have you thought of sneaking that "chick" into your room??? [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  9. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Lol, she wold make some noise [​IMG] plus I have a little doggie who likes to " play " with what ever she finds. So the room thing is a big nope [​IMG]

Im worried, becuase she doesnt like to be handled, and it might stress ehr out i I do, so that would be the only thing I am worried about with the pen. Plus the humidity is good in the kennel, where as if i were to place her into the large rabbit coop the that heat would be gone. I would place the boards around, to keep some of it in , as well as I have a red towel that I would put as a cover. But would that keep enough heat in?

Would she be stressed out by being kept away from the drakes?
    would the move, or loss of heat affect her too much?

This frustrates me so much! That kennel was perfect for holding in the heat and keeping out the elements. Then the stinky goats try to break in as well as the worry over the snake and the ants [​IMG]

10. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    About the ants, try food-grade diatomaceous earth under her pen and out beyond the perimeter of her area a bit. Diatomaceous earth, provided it's food grade, should not be harmful at all to your duck. It is just shar pieces of calcium that is detrimental to the exterior shell of the ants. If your duck eats it, it is just extra and probably valuable calcium for her. You will need to redo the dia earth every time it rains or if the duck does eat it all up.

Dia earth scratches the ants' outer skeletons causing them to dry out and die. It will take a little longer to work than instant kill chemicals but it will work.

Many garden centers sell dia earth that has harmful insecticides included. You need to make sure it's food grade.

Cinnie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by