Should ideal poultry be accountable?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Compton Farm, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Compton Farm

Compton Farm Just Hatched

Jan 31, 2017
    Jeanerette Louisiana
    Last year I purchased 10 ameracana chicks. I have raised them and now they are 7 months old, and laying. Now that I would like to incubate eggs, I have learned that they are in fact easter eggers and not pure ameracana chickens. Is ideal poultry responsible for this? They are selling eggers as ameracanas and making a profit. I don't appreciate being lied to.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    A lot of hatcheries do this, or label them "Americanas" or something. You can complain, but it's not likely they'll do anything for you. And just to let you know going forward, the breed is spelled Ameraucana, with a U :)

However their description is very misleading, even going so far as to disparage other hatcheries selling EEs under the label Araucanas when they aren't (this is true), while also calling the Ameraucanas they sell the "Easter Egg Breed". It would be nice if they would change it. I do wonder if they would change it if enough people complained.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  3. Compton Farm

Jan 31, 2017
    Jeanerette Louisiana
    Well they are actually breaking the law. That is false advertising! When I have the receipt in my hand showing I purchased ameraucana pullets, and I look in my backyard and see easter eggers.....it's fraud!

4. Compton Farm

Jan 31, 2017
    Jeanerette Louisiana
    [​IMG][/IMG]

5. Compton Farm

Jan 31, 2017
    Jeanerette Louisiana
    [​IMG]

6. Compton Farm

Jan 31, 2017
    Jeanerette Louisiana
    [​IMG]

7. Compton Farm

Jan 31, 2017
    Jeanerette Louisiana
    [​IMG]

8. Finnie

Finnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Nope. Not fraud. They clearly state that theirs is the "Easter Egger" breed, and that they lay eggs of many colors. That describes the birds they sold you exactly.

http://www.idealpoultry.com/item.html

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Ideal calls them ameraucanas, but in the same line they call them "easter eggers." Many hatcheries sell what they call aracanas or americanas, but all still easter eggers, which by the way are very healthy mixed breed chickens who may lay a blue green egg. This has been going on for many years, and you are not the first person to think that you are getting an ameraucana, This is a product of mixing a south american Auracana to other breeds years ago. Very few if any sell genuine Ameraucanas. There are many colors of Ameraucana available. I have blue wheaten, have had lavenders, but have EE's which have better hatchability and temperaments. Many people on some of the Ameraucana threads will sell you hatching eggs if you still want them, or you may find some chicks or pullets available locally on your state threads. I have bought eggs before and never hatched one. Some eggs, I got 2 or 3. In my own birds the hatch rates were low or none, while other breeds shipped or my own birds produced great hatches. So if you still want them, you should be able to get some. Have a look at the Buy-Sell-Trade forum for chicks for sale here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/36/chicken-hatching-eggs

10. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

As much as I completely agree with you that it is false advertising..... You may be able to call better business bureau...

IMO.... and I know it's hotly contested.... They probably are Ameraucana that simply haven't been bred to meet the SOP. Crappy genetics from hatchery birds is par for the course. So, I would not personally buy anything from hatchery that I was planning to breed. However.... I have bought Ameraucana from breeders as well..... Some meet SOP pretty well. But my most recent one has color bleed through that does not meet the standard. There are NO EE in the flock I bought from. But if people don't select for breeding quality, that's what you get. Which, IMO is kind of stupid about how people are so adamant that an Ameraucana who doesn't fit the SOP is an EE.... With any other breed.... if you end up with flaws, that doesn't make it a mix breed. It's still the same breed unless you mixed it up with something else.

Anyways, I go in knowing that unless you buy from a reputable breeder they are always going to be EE. I actually hate being lied to! And the feed stores don't know the difference, they will argue that they are real Ameraucana until blue in the face.

Ideal is simply a hatchery, they do not have their own breeding stock. If you want to get some good Ameraucana stock, here is the place... http://fowlstuff.com/Fowl.html

This statement directly from their website probably takes away any legal claim you might have....

Our poultry is purebred and represent the breed and variety; however, we do not guarantee or represent that they are show quality.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by