Should my 10 wk old ducks be molting?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickboss, May 11, 2010.

1. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    My four Kahkis seem to be molting. Just want to check and see when they beging to get their adult plumage so that I know if this is normal, or if I have a problem. Thanks!

2. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Show pix, please!!!!

3. WadeMD

WadeMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2009
    near Frederick, MD
    My 8 week old ducks are dropping feathers like mad... but thats because it got so hot here after being cold for a long time. They moved outside when the average temp was around 55 - it went up into the mid 80s, they started dropping some of the internal feathers and are still doing that. They are just regulating their insulation from what I can tell. They aren't dropping the primary feathers - so they aren't really molting. There's no replacement occuring - they're basically just shedding.

4. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    Yep, normal. The Storey's Guide page 227 says between 7 and 10 weeks most breeds will be fully feathered and then molt. This is how you time when it is best to butcher.

5. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Found it! Thanks everyone! I thought I had read it before, but just had a small moment of panic . LOL, like what if I'm wrong and they are covered in lice! LOL. [​IMG] Silly me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by