Should my broody Polish get to be a mommy?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bantyshanty, Feb 3, 2011.

1. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    I have three broodies now, in the midst of our winter, and one is a bantam Polish crested. She's more skittish than my other Polish, who are really docile. She's been broody about a week and seems to be serious about it. The broodiness has even made her docile toward me.

I have a dozen d'Uccle eggs in the bator & I thought I'd divide the new peeps among my 3 hens to raise. The two cochins could stay in the coop, the Polish could come in with her small brood.

Has anyone any experience with a Polish hen being a good mom?

The breed descriptions always say NO!

Edited for silly typos!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I do not have polish, but am a broody lover - I say give her a chance. She might turn out to be your bestest mom.

Just cause some breed description says it cannot be - does not make it true. [​IMG]

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Broody & doscile? [​IMG] They usually turn into "Devil Hens" when they go broody, & try to eat your fingers off! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I have LF Polish. I say if she wants to be broody, let her be broody. It does go against their character but you never know. She may be a wonderful mom if the broodiness is in her genes.

5. Paaz1120

Paaz1120 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    X3 Give her a chance to be a mommy! [​IMG]
    Keep us updated how she does.

6. bantyshanty

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    All right! I'll give her the chance! She gets to be an inside mommy the first few weeks, in a decent-size brooder with a small heat lamp at one end, in case she shirks her duty.

This Polish, Hazel, is about a year, and was about to be rehomed for sheer flightiness --would fly at your face when you tried to catch her-- but on the eggs she's as docile as a Silkie. More docile.
    She gets up once a day for 5 minutes to stretch, eat, drink & poo, then the Cochin sits on her nest immediately, and Hazel weeps near her nest.
    I push off the Cochin, put the Polish back on, and she eats mealworm cakes from my hand (these are sunflower meal & worm meal cakes I made, reserved for broodies only!)

She's just a love now, and lets me check her eggs without the scary-broody attack. Doesn't even growl! She's going to hatch several D'uccle chicks on Valentine's day:love hopefully!

7. team edward

team edward Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    Awwww [​IMG] keep us posted , please! [​IMG]

8. bantyshanty

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    I'll update this post-Valentine's with pics of the new chicky family!

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Broody Polish! [​IMG]

This should be interesting! [​IMG]
    I'm Subscribing!

10. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

How exciting! That means there is hope for my Polish!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by