1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should my chicks be quite?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sand blister, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Sand blister

Sand blister Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2015
    Montville NJ
    Hi everyone, my 4 chicks seem very quite in the brooder. Its at 95 degrees. They poop eat and drink but don't seem to make much noise. Just wanted to make sure that is normal.

Thanks

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Just as with infants, quiet is good with chicks. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I see a pic of them in your avatar. Where do they seem to settle down to rest? How big is their box? Is it 95* under the light? What about at the other end? It should be 90 - 95* UNDER THE LIGHT during the first week, with the box being big enough that they can get away to a much cooler area, hopefully with the temp down to 70 degrees at the other end. Do they run around, explore? Or do they just sit when they're not eating? How long have you had them? Are you checking them for pasty butt?

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Quiet is good. Noisy is when they are telling you they're hungry, thirsty, or too cold.

However, if they are lying spread out around the far edges of the light, not moving, and maybe panting. You have the lamp too low. If it's 95 right underneath the lamp, and cooler out away from it, that's about right. if they are lying under the light, then the lamp is about right where it should be.

If your chicks are in their first week, 95 is about right, but if they are older than that, it's too hot.

5. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Welcome to the flock![​IMG] How old are the chicks? If they are 7 days the brooder should be at 90* Every seven days, lower temp by 5* until it's at 70* then stop. Not chirping at the top of their lungs is good=not cold. Too much sleeping, heavy breathing or panting = too warm. Quiet chirping amongst themselves, periods of sleep and running around eating, drinking, pecking and scratching=everything is fine. [​IMG]

6. Sand blister

Mar 1, 2015
    Montville NJ
    Box is a 4x2 under the light is 95 and def lower on the other end thats where the water and food are. They explore a little. I did notice that they do have a dirty butt. Didn't even think about that. I heard a little Vaseline or oil should help?

7. Sand blister

Mar 1, 2015
    Montville NJ
    Forgot to add we just got them on Saturday am. Yesterday. They were hatched on wednesday

8. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Make sure their vents are clear of dried poop! If they can't poop they'll die! A little vaseline on clean vents is ok.

9. lynnehd

lynnehd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2015
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Yes, definitely take a warm paper towel and hold it against their vent, soften the poop and try to gently remove it. Refresh the paper towel as needed with warm water.
    They do need a clear vent to stay healthy.

10. Sand blister

Mar 1, 2015
    Montville NJ
    Thanks everyone. It's booty cleaning time. Hopefully everything will be ok.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by