should my doggies watch?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mcostas, Dec 29, 2010.

1. mcostas

mcostas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    The time has come to cull my 3 roosters. My doggies can be trusted around my chickens so I don't want them to see us do the deed. My plan is to put them in a pet crate, after dark, and do it at the neighbors. I'm just going to skin them, I figured it would be easier than boiling water at the neighbors.

My roommate wants to keep the doggies in the house while we do the deed, then let them out while we do the skinning and cleaning. I think this is a bad idea, they will see the chickens as something acceptable to chase and kill.

Am I just projecting?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You may or may not be projecting, but why bother taking the chance? If your dogs ae good with the chickens why risk altering that. I'm with you.

3. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I would encourage you not to have the dogs see what is going on.
    What purpose would it serve? I think the smells will excite them, that could create problems...

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Dogs have no business being in the abattoir. They are underfoot, and track dirt, germs and debris everywhere. A kill/butcher site needs to be as clean as possible because this is food you are going to be eating. You also don't need to be tripping over a dog while handling exceptionally sharp knives with already slippery hands. That would be a good way to land in the ER. My advice is to leave the dogs at home.

Good luck.

5. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    keep the dogs away... we cull all our animals out of sight and fed them to the dogs raw when they're cold.

6. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I agree. Don't let the dogs watch or be around. Just in case it might give them ideas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by