Should my peeps be so aggresive???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by peggyb43, Jul 13, 2010.

1. peggyb43

peggyb43 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2008
    I got 9 babies three weeks old and have moved them outside to our existing coop. I'm in Georgia, so it's plenty warm during the day and they have their red heat lamp on at night. They are growing SO fast! But I've noticed that they chase each other around and fly at each other. Is this normal behavior at this age? I've had chickens before but don't remember how they acted.

2. Tylt33

Tylt33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Are they doing the flying-chest-bump and flying-land-on-eachother routines? My 2.5 week pullets are... I'm guessing that's what you're seeing?

3. peggyb43

Sep 29, 2008
    That's exactly what they are doing. I guess if yours are doing it, it must be normal, huh? They are such cute little tough guys. (Gals)

4. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    what breed are they? How big is their pen?

5. peggyb43

Sep 29, 2008
    I'm not sure of the breeds yet. I got a group of assorted brown egg layers and haven't been able to determine the breed yet. The coop is about 5 feet by 4 feet, and its about 6 feet tall.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Chick exercise! Plus, establishing the flock pecking order.

7. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Its OK. Mine did it at just 3 days old, little stinkers! LOL They are the sweetest things you've ever seen now at 9 wks. They're just showing each other how big they are....

8. Tylt33

Tylt33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Quote:It's either normal or we both have weird chickens [​IMG]

9. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    mine were doing that too in their brooder which is 6 foot long, 3 feet wide and 3 feet tall. I took a guess and considered half to be them experiementing or putting each other in order and the other half the fact they needed more room. So I took them all out to the unpainted coop :-( and let them run around. They are still 5 weeks old and the temps here are still all over the place so they are only allowed to stay in the coop for now. the coop is 11 X 10 and what a difference. they are more calm, less stressed and less noisy. they literally look so comfy in there :)

by the way I had a few that wold come at me and peck me when they were int he brooder in the coop they haven't even done it, they all run to me when they see me and wait for their treats...lol...

10. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    my 8 week old pullets have been ladies until this week. Now every once in a while
    there is a "fly to you, chest bump, neck feather raise"!! then it settles down.
    No other aggressive behaviour.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by