Should my Rouen hen be laying by now?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by remadl700, Sep 14, 2010.

1. remadl700

remadl700 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    oregon
    We got her as a duckling in Feb and I haven't seen a nest or eggs anywhere. Am I not looking hard enough? They are free range but don't go more than 60 yards away from the water/food area.

[​IMG]

2. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    Most likely you will not get eggs until spring. In my experience, ducks lay eggs spring through mid-summer.

3. remadl700

Nov 18, 2009
    oregon
    Thanks for the quick reply.

4. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Well it might also depend on what part of the country you live in, I live in Southern California and I got my rouens back in may and one of them has been laying for like a little more than a month and half, and the other one just started laying about 2 weeks ago. they've been pretty consistent layers I get about 5 eggs a week form one of them.

5. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Hi there, I'm also in Oregon. I've been supplementing their light with a light bulb in the duck house. They are now getting 4.5 hours extra light and are laying eggs. Ducks need 14-17 hours of light to lay eggs.

6. remadl700

Nov 18, 2009
    oregon
    Quote:Roger that!

adding one light.[​IMG]

7. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

In Oregon you should have 15 hours of light. The 14-17 hours depends on where you live. You basically have to figure out what the max in summer for your area is. You can split the light difference into evening and morning additions. Mine have a problem with the light in the evening. I have a duck house with large windows coming down to the floor level. The ducks basically sit outside in front of the window if the light is on in the evening. So they are not getting any in the evening, instead my light comes on at 3am and turns off when they daylight is up. You can print out charts for that at:
    http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astronomical-applications/data-services
    Don't worry about daylight savings time. You mainly need to add the light after the change anyway. The bulb does not need to have a high wattage. Wattage depends on the size of the duck house. I have a 40 watt bulb in my 10x10 house. Oh forgot to mention, a regular bulb should work but I use a natural light bulb. I had a fluorescent in before, but this light bulb seems to work better.

8. knottydoll

knottydoll Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    I had my rouen as a chick in June along with 4 others and 2 of the 3 hens are now laying and I get 2 eggs daily. I live in BC and we are now down to 11 hours daylight and I leave a light on from 5pm til 10pm everyday. The girls didn't start laying until the end of October so ther is hope for your rouen I feel!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by