Should she have a female coop mate?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by feathermummzy, Jun 25, 2016.

1. feathermummzy

feathermummzy New Egg

Jun 25, 2016
    Sydney Australia
    Hi there everyone
    We are getting our first feather baby in a few weeks " Buff Orpington" and was wondering if I could please get peoples opinion on if she will be happier with a coop mate? There are a lot of conflicting articles about it, and at the end of the day we just want her to be as happy as possible, so any input would be greatly appreciated
    Many thanks
    Jess

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    [​IMG]

Chickens are flock animals, so yes. she would be happier with company. Ideally, you could get her two more flock mates and get them all at the same time. The nice thing about three of them is, if something happens to one, you won't end up with a lone chicken.

1 person likes this.
  3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hi there feathermummzy, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

When I started on my chicken adventure I only had two girls; sadly, one passed away and the one girl on her own was desperate for company. I had to dash out and buy her a friend.

I agree with bobbi-j in that I would now never have less than 3. Meaning that if I did lose one, there would still be two for company and I would have time to find a replacement.

I have heard of people having one chicken as a family pet and some do OK but maybe these were raised as a single chick.

I do think that a chicken that was used to company finding herself alone would be very upset.

1 person likes this.
  4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Chickens are not happy alone, so yes you need to get other flock mates for her. At a minimum 2 more.

1 person likes this.
  5. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    As mentioned they live in flocks so are much much happier with more than one. Three is a good number because if something should happen to one (from death to it turns out to be a rooster you can't keep) then you don't have the problem of trying to get an older bird to like a new friend you find it. While they can all get on if all new adding later is never as easy.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by