Should the coop be light or dark?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by maggiegigs, Sep 13, 2010.

1. maggiegigs

maggiegigs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    I am never quite sure where to post my question. But here goes....
    My brother who is a veterinarian told me that chickens need allot of light for egg production. However, they need dark nests for egg laying. My coop is small and I do not know how to create this extreme. My nesting boxes are not dark. Any suggestions?

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    They don't need to be all that dark. The hens just look for a secluded area where they can do their thing. As long as you don't have a spotlight shining on them, they'll use them.

3. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    The only light mine get is natural and the nesting boxes are in the darkest corner. I don't really care if the egg production drops off in the winter because of decreased daylight.

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Chickens need to be able to get into the daylight, which they will if you let them go outdoors (as you should!). That's all the light they need to lay.

Some hens may be fussier than others about where they lay, but mine are happy to lay in portable plastic lidded bins that I put out for them in their daytime tractor.

5. OliviaDeHav

OliviaDeHav Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:I sort of posted the same thing - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=398481 if you look at my pictures, my nesting boxes are right across from the window and my coop is small also - too small to seclude an area. My friend wrote to me and said she has black plastic over her nesting boxes. if i can get a picture of what she does, i will share it with you....
    edit: also we are looking into getting a solar shed light for winter to provide a little bit more light....

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  6. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    my nest box isn't enclosed. it's just a kitty litter box in the corner away from their door and they use it just fine.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My nest boxes are directly across from a window, and my girls have never had an issue with laying in them... [​IMG] I'd much rather have a bright coop...if you're worried stick a covered litter box in a corner somewhere..

8. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    I've never had trouble with the hens laying in or out of the dark. The inside of my coop is cream colored and I started leaving a light on in the coop a couple weeks ago, since it's still dark when I go out to do my chores at 5:30-6am.

I have nest boxes that are darker and I have ones that are raised up and currently, they prefer the raised ones.

FYI - I never did use the fake eggs either. I figured chickens have been laying eggs on their own for many years without our help.

9. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Sounds to me that your set up will work just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by