Should the pumpkin seeds be cooked?

jerseygirl1

Crowing
13 Years
14 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Orange County, NY
I've been reading about the effects of pumpkins and seeds lately - should the pumpkins and seeds be cooked? It seems that if not, that the flesh and seeds may be too hard to peck at?

I see no reason to cook them; it is natural for birds to eat raw seeds. They might need to be shelled, though.

Please don't count on pumpkin seeds to keep your flock worm free. I think you will find that has been disproven if you do the research.

When we feed pumpkin, we just cut the pumpkin in half and let the chickens have at it. They love it once they get a taste.

We put whole pumpkins in their runs. The first time we didn't cut it...lol they did eat it too at one point it had a hole big enough that the rooster was sticking his head right in. Now we do cut or break it.

Just throw it on the ground really hard and stand back!

10036622.jpg

10036612.jpg

1003663d.jpg

I bought some dried pumpkin seeds at the feed store. The chickens won't touch them. I tried chopping them, the chickens won't touch them. I tried processing them to a powder, the chickens won't touch it. I put them out for the squirrels, the squirrels won't touch them.

Imp- Anyone want about 20 lbs of dried pumpkin seeds.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom