Should the roosts be flat or on edge?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by alabama49, Nov 10, 2010.

1. alabama49

alabama49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    east central Alabama
    Hi-I have 2 x 4's in my pens for roosts. I have them nailed up with the 2" edge up but noticed someone said that they should be hung up with the flat (wide side) up for the chickens to roost on. Does it matter that much?

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Flat with the wide side as the surface they rest on.

3. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I keep the flat (wider) side up. Gives them more space to rest and IMO being from a colder climate in the winter it helps them to keep their feet covered when roosting.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Varying opinions. Wide side helps them keep their feet warm, but you are in a warm climate. Some people use about 2" dowels, some use tree branches of varying diameter. Some chickens prefer a platform or something even wider than 3.5". You didn't mention breed. You will be the best judge of whether they are comfortable on the narrow side. Bantams or Leghorns might do fine, whereas a 15 lb. rooster will probably want a shelf or ledge.

I have several breeds of large fowl. I could tell that they were happier when I changed the roosts from the 2" side to the 4" side; I guess they were more comfortable. But I have an Orp hen who insists on sleeping on the top of a nest box (yes I left the tops flat; scrounged boxes with linoleum-type stuff on them.) I just scrape her poo off in the AM. Yet a couple of other Orp hens prefer the roost.

5. alabama49

alabama49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    east central Alabama
    OK-thanks!! Guess I will go home and flatten the 2 x 4's!![​IMG]

6. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Agree with others....Wide side to give them more room to roost on.

7. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Yes wide side for comfort.

8. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

I use 2 X 6s, flat side up. I think it will be better for them when temperatures get really low.

Ed

9. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    We have Silkies and they do NOT roost. They all "huddle/bunch up" in one corner. Looks like a rug. We have 4 nesting boxes and some have decided to cuddle up in the nests. Would prefer they would all stay together to keep each other warm. Aria

10. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    Chickens have very big feet..lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by