should the skin be so red on these cornish rocks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hollyertley, Mar 13, 2012.

1. hollyertley

hollyertley Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    Georgia
    My Cornish Rocks are two weeks old aprox. and they have such red skin. Is this normal when they are getting their feathers or is there something wrong? They are just looking so scraggly but they are acting very healthy. [​IMG]Thank You.

2. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    Looks normal to me.

All my white or light-colored chicks will have their skin showing just like that until their feathers grow in good. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    yea looks normal dont worry if u see any flakey skin move away a strong heat source their skin may be drying out

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My light coloured chicks have red in spots where their fluff has worn off and they are growing in their feather shafts. I say it's perfectly normal. That is the cutest cornish rock cross I've seen :p

1 person likes this.
  5. hollyertley

hollyertley Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    Georgia
    Oh!! not only is she cute but she is super friendly too. She follows me around the house when I let her out to exercise. I am worried about her getting too big but I am afraid that is going to be a battle lost on my part. I would like to keep her but she is clearly bred as a meat chicken. Too bad because all the other little ones think she is their mommy. They all poke their heads up and start howling when I take her out to exercise and they wont quit until she is back in or I take them out with her. I think it may be too cold outside the brooder for them though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by