Should there be Chicken/Duck coop designer ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MamaChic21, Dec 21, 2010.

1. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I could only wish there was a chicken/duck coop and run designers [​IMG] Would save time, energy, and money !!!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  2. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    I have seen some dandy, well thought out and unique coop/run designs on this forum.... Most make my coop look like a condemned house. Check around. I am sure one or two will even give you a one-of-a-kind design... for a fee! [​IMG]

3. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    Quote:You're right but my backyard is odd, I mean very odd [​IMG] But I agree, some of the designs are breathe taking.

4. Holmes' Homestead

Holmes' Homestead Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2010
    Schuylerville NY
    I couldn't agree more. I'm having a tough time finding blueprints for a coop being a soon-to-be first time chicken owner. I think I'm going to end up purchasing either Building a Chicken Coop by Bill Keene or Building Chicken Coops for Dummies by Rob Ludlow. Either way, I've found some coops on here that I like, but there are no detailed plans. We're looking to buy around 25 pullets for the Spring, so I have to build a decent sized coop.

5. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    are you going to let them free range or with a run ?

There are very variety of coops out there, but everybodies yards and needs are different. I wish with the money that we all spent re-locating, re-doing and re-building, we can hire someone to do it once and do it nice [​IMG]

6. Holmes' Homestead

Dec 14, 2010
    Schuylerville NY
    We plan on letting them range, they'll have almost 7 acres to roam. My wife and I plan on getting some Guinea keets too, as we have a huge tick problem here in upstate NY.

7. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Don't forget about Chicken Math! 25 chickens this spring could cause you to have 35 next spring. Etc etc. Always make your coop bigger instead of making it 10x10 with 100 sq ft probably 12x12 and have 144 sq ft or even bigger. I started with 10 chickens, 8 RIR and 2 Barred Rocks, well... 40 or so more Buff Orphingtons later I am glad that I have a huge 20x40 coop! Chicken math works in crazy ways some time but plan ahead!

-Nate

8. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I want to help you find something you might be intrested of, so let me ask you, would you want the coop to look like a coop/playhouse/shed ?

9. Holmes' Homestead

Dec 14, 2010
    Schuylerville NY
    I've heard that chickens are addictive, so we plan on building larger than we need. We're planning on raising some Guineas along with chickens. Some of the birds will be raised for meat, and others for eggs, so the coop's population will fluctuate from time to time.

@OkChickens- I can't believe your flock grew from 10 to 40! It seems like you caught chicken fever.

@MamaChic21- I appreciate your willingness to help. If it looks like a coop or shed, that's fine. Probably more of a coop than anything. I thought about purchasing an Amish built shed (we have a supplier nearby) and converting it into a coop, but it may be cheaper to build one myself.

10. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    most definately it will cost much less if you build it yourself.
    I'm actually considering this ;
    http://www.horizonstructures.com/8x8_coop.asp
    8x8 looks like a shed, playhouse and chicken coop :) and plant few flowers or plants around it, perfect ! The price they're asking for is close to $3000. I think that is wayyy to much. Building this would be a pleasure and saving alots of money. Good luck with everything [​IMG]

Oh mine grew from 2 chickens to 22, so far [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by