Should there be water available *inside* the coop?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JDelage, Nov 1, 2016.

1. JDelage

JDelage Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2016
    Currently planning for our first batch of chickens.

Should I plan to make water available for the chickens *inside* the coop? How about food?

Many thanks,

JD

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Since chickens don't really eat or drink while at roost or sleeping, no, it is not necessary to have food and water in the coop. And depending on your climate, keeping water in the coop can cause too much moisture and result in frostbitten combs. Food in the coop is a major attractor of pests, and in my area, bears.

1 person likes this.
  3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    It depends. If your birds can get out to their covered predator proof run at first light every morning, it's fine to feed and water out there only. If they are locked in their coop until you wander out there every day, they will be hungry and thirsty unless food and water are available. If your coop is well ventilated, and the waterer doesn't leak, it should be fine. Mary

2 people like this.
  4. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    I got my first 9 hens back in February. I have a 5 gallon bucket feeder and a 5 gallon waterer, both are inside my coop. Just to keep them out of the elements. I didn't want to have to worry about it getting wet (my run has a tarp over half) and I didn't want to worry about sun growing algae in the water jug I use. So far I have not seen any issues with keeping the food and water inside of the coop.

5. MsChickenHerder

MsChickenHerder Just Hatched

Nov 15, 2016
    Northwest Ohio
    We have a feeder and watered inside our chicken room. However, the chickens can come and go as they please since they have a huge fenced area. They Can go out and drink from the small duck pond and eat bugs and snippets or come inside and eat feed and drink from the waterer. Their choice. :) Having food and water inside can be helpful for our Silver Laced, especially in the summer, when they don't tolerate the heat very well. They well literally lay in the shade and suffer from dehydration because they won't get drinks. Having the inside waterer is a good option for them, in our case.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by