should these breeds get along?

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
I am getting ready to place my order to start my flock. Went over the list of what they have and looked them all up with my family. We are starting with 8 chicks. here is what we decided on. silver spangled hamburg, salmon Faverolle, silver laced cochin, light brahma, 2 buff brahmas and 2 blue cochins. Should they all get along if we get them together and all raised together or are there any "bully breeds" in there? I know they will figure out a pecking order and someone will be at the bottom but don't want to have a bully breed and a really easy going breed that will get picked on.

The cochins or the brahma might pick a bir more. My cochin is a bantam, but shes head honcho wherever she goes
thanks. I <3 bantams and really wanted to go with those but way too hard finding sexed bantams and I don't want to have to get rid of a bunch of roosters by taking a chance with a straight run. so we decided sexed standards were the way to go. I would LOVE to get a couple silkies too but worried they won't fit in my coop (it will be 4x8) and with 8 standards they will be picked on.

I am getting ready to place my order to start my flock. Went over the list of what they have and looked them all up with my family. We are starting with 8 chicks. here is what we decided on. silver spangled hamburg, salmon Faverolle, silver laced cochin, light brahma, 2 buff brahmas and 2 blue cochins. Should they all get along if we get them together and all raised together or are there any "bully breeds" in there? I know they will figure out a pecking order and someone will be at the bottom but don't want to have a bully breed and a really easy going breed that will get picked on.
My hamburgs are at the very bottom of the pecking order. I don't have any "bully breeds" but there is a clear pecking order. The hamburgs are beautiful, but they tend to be loners to avoid getting picked on, which means they lay eggs in strange places to avoid any nest box conflicts with the other girls, don't snuggle with others in cold weather, and also tend to pick on chicks when I first start to integrate them into the flock (for a few weeks until the chicks outgrow them). I don't have experience with any of the other breeds.

Back
Top Bottom