1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should they all start laying together?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by billmac, Sep 28, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    I have a flock of 12 Rhode Island Reds that I got in the spring as chicks. I assume they are the same age within a day or so. Some of them have been laying for about a week, but I have also had some egg-eating issues. We've gotten 5 eggs today so far, but it would appear that only about half are laying unless I'm really missing something. I don't think I'm losing more than an egg or two a day to eating.

Does this sound ok? I'm happy to let them start laying when they are ready, but someone suggested they should pretty much all start laying within a few days of each other.

Thanks

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I have 6 easter eggers and 7 silver laced wyandottes. My first EE started laying at the end of August at 20 weeks (exactly. It is now a month later and I know I got a first (green) egg from another of my EE's. They may be the same age, but when they start laying varies. Of the 13 chickens (all same age), I suspect that about 10 of them MAY be laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by