Should They Be Molting By Now??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TwoCrows, Oct 3, 2012.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have 4 Black Australorp hens that are 19 months old. Only one of them is molting and she is nearing the end of it. The other 3 are looking pretty ratty and need a good molt. But nothing is happening! Will they molt this year? Do chickens molt in the winter, as winter comes quick up at my altitude of 7,000 feet in the mountains. Thanks!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, they will molt. Be thankful for the eggs while you have them! I've had hens molt right in the coldest part of winter and they did fine. They are good at finding a buddy to snuggle up with.

3. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    yes i believe chickens will molt in the winter if they have to.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    So I guess they will molt when they are darn good and ready! LOL The one girl that is molting started in August sometime and she is nearly done. I have caught her glaring into the coop at the nest boxes lately. Maybe "egg envy" or something. LOL So hopefully she gets back at the egg laying soon. As far as the others, we can start in with the snow at the end of this month. We have already had temps in the low 30's at night, so they had better hurry up and start molting, or they will all be snuggling up to the girl that DID already molt. LOL

Thanks all for the replies!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    EXACTLY! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by