Should we be worried about a cat?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by vjbakke, Aug 14, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    We have seen a couple of times in the evening a cat close to our coop. It scared the girls last night and DH chased the cat away. Should we be worried about this cat?It's a " city" cat.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    It depends on the cat. I would encourage it to go hang out elsewhere, just in case. Good luck.

3. chicken_chik

chicken_chik Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    I would guess it would depend also on the size of your chickens.
    My cat "went after" our chickens when they were about 10 weeks old. Now that they are bigger, the cat pays them no mind.

Also, if the cat is ferral might make a difference in its drive to hunt.

Good luck.

4. outdoor junkie

outdoor junkie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Flushing
    Couldn't be good. Even if it can't kill them, it could stress them pretty badly. Pellet gun usually works, far too many stray cats in this world anyhow.

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Yes, they have claws that could hurt. Their scratches/bite could also infect where they puncture the bird. Our cat went after our chicken while they were free ranging in the woods. When the chickens were in the house, the cat could care less about them. I do see cats as predators.

6. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    Quote:agree when we get strays around here we take care of them.you could try to live trap it an bring it to the animal shelter good luck

7. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    With young birds they can be a problem. Generally not so much to adults. The cat can't get into the coop right? He's probably curious about the strange birds but if he can't get in then no harm done really.

8. Jschaaff

Jschaaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    When one of my cornish x's wandered up the hill and towards the house this summer (she was about 4 lbs), my cat Bandit (my usually mild mannered, 8 lb kitty) attacked her. Luckily I had seen her low crawling, stalking her, so I FLEW oh my goodness and made to the chicken within a second of Bandit, but Bandit literally bowled the hen over she pounced so hard, and had I not been there, would have most certainly hurt her. I was shocked as Bandit had never "appeared" to pay attention to the larger broilers (little chicks of course, but that's expected)...she used to watch the full grown layers several years ago, but lost interest quickly and hasn't even glanced at them since... yet 2 months ago attacked my broiler?!?! So yes, in short, you do have to worry about cats.

-Jessa

9. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Thanks, our girls are about 20-021 wks old. Can't use a pellet gun due to being in town, We do have a dog that loves to chase cats though ![​IMG] We may use his skills!

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Quote:Good plan. Let the dog discourage the cat from hanging around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by