Should we be worried?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenThunderdome, Mar 19, 2019.

1. ChickenThunderdome

ChickenThunderdome In the Brooder

Mar 18, 2019
    North Carolina
    Placed an order with cackle last month. Our order shipped yesterday Monday18th but at the butt end of the day(630pm) even though the chicks according to the invoice hatched at 5am.

Tracking finally updates to a Thursday by 8pm..
    That's 4 days which seems a lot for MO to NC(normal priority it would be just 2 days) I thought they were supposed to be delivered a lot sooner and after day three the chicks will have run out of the yolk they survive on?

Are we worrying needlessly?

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  2. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    I'd keep checking the updated tracking. It could possibly be there by this afternoon or Wednesday morning. If they don't arrive by Thursday morning, I'd call Cackel and let them know.

3. ChickenThunderdome

Mar 18, 2019
    North Carolina
    Thanks Sean,
    We've been hyped up for our first chicks over the past month increasingly so I apologize if this thread is a bit much.(You know first time parents are always way more paranoid than others!!!)

chickens really and 007Sean like this.
  4. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    No worries, you have ample reason to worry! You hear so many horror stories of shipped chicks....the postal service is not very considerate of the packages they handle nor of the contents they contain.
    Hope they arrive on time, though and Good luck! Best wishes on establishing your flock.

chickens really likes this.
  5. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    :frow
    Hey there !
    Welcome to BYC!
    Did I hear you say North Carolina?

Me too!
    I’m down at the “pointy spot” lol. Wilmington.

Could you please take a sec to add that to your profile?
    You’d be surprised how helpful it is to know a members general geographic location if they run into trouble.
    Think of chickens as solar powered creatures. Your climate and weather go hand in hand with that.

Are they being delivered to your branch office or your house?

You might want to call or even stop by your local branch office the day before and in a very friendly way, let them know you are anxiously awaiting this package of babies. It might make a difference.

Also take the time to have everything ready to go in your brooder. Everything.
    Have the room warm.
    Getting chilled kills chicks.
    The minute you get them in there, start dipping their beaks so they can get going on rehydrating.

Keep us posted! There is so much fun ahead for you!

6. Azmomm

Azmomm Songster

Jan 29, 2019
    Vail AZ
    I ordered via mail as well. The hatchery, mypetchicken, notified they delivered to usps express mail at 330pm monday 11th march. Late that day i receive usps tracking saying that the delivery day was by 3pm thursday. Well i kept checking tracking and on tuesday morning at 5am i see that they are at main post office tucson az. I live in a rural area in the county. I go to local po at 8 and am told they only receive mail at 7 so it wont be there til next morning. Long story , but i drove into town and picked them up from main usps. Called a pkg intercept. The tracking msg never changed about thursday delivery. All chicks received healthy

7. ChickenThunderdome

Mar 18, 2019
    North Carolina
    I've called our local PO to let them know chicks are coming in. Fortunately this is rural farmland for the most part so they get chicks in frequently. Said it may be very early when they call, these days I'm up at 5-6am(where did my teenage years of sleeping till 2pm and staying up till 4am go?) so hopefully we can cut down this 4 day delivery by visiting the hub directly. Thanks for the tip.

Chick-N-Fun, staceyj and 007Sean like this.
  8. ChickenThunderdome

Mar 18, 2019
    North Carolina
    Hi Stacey,
    We are out in the mountains near Asheville more or less.

Got married in Wilmington last year RIGHT after the hurricane.(wasn't that fun?)
    I'm one of those "planner" type people where planning a trip or in this case chicks is half the fun so I'm right there with you on the brooder being ready/warm/water once they get here.
    -
    A question though, anyone is welcome to answer. Our chicks brooder is in a detached garage(it's not insulated but there are NO drafts and I am 100% confident they will be warm in there) would it be wise to use a hand warmer under the water reservoir to keep the water warm? I keep hearing cold water can cause already fatigued from shipping chicks to go into shock/sickness and die and looking for ways to keep water warm at night while we are asleep.

Chick-N-Fun, staceyj and Cryss like this.
  9. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Whenever I have eggs or live birds coming in, the PO will call me at 5:00am and let me know they have arrived at the PO.

Chick-N-Fun and staceyj like this.
  10. Cryss

Cryss Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Northwest New Jersey
    What are you using in your brooder to keep the chicks warm?

007Sean and staceyj like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: