Should we cover the nesting boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by OliviaDeHav, Jul 28, 2010.

1. OliviaDeHav

OliviaDeHav Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2010
    We have had the big girls (6 weeks old) in their new coop for 2 nights. We moved the brooder box out there so they could feel secure and get use to new smells, sounds etc.... Tonight we hope to have them just IN the coop. We'd like to foster using the roosting pole, and i was wondering, in order to do this....since they won't be laying eggs any time soon, could we cover the nesting boxes for a week maybe to get them to use the bar/pole? We are trying to avoid them using the nesting boxes for beds....
    thanks [​IMG]

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    If you mean block them off so they can't sleep in there...yes you can.

3. Mother of All

Mother of All Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    I would cover them until they are about 15 weeks old. I use to put milk jugs in my nesting boxes to keep the girls out.

4. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    We covered our nesting boxes to prevent bad habits, sleeping in there. Now that the girls are 15 weeks we will uncover the nexting boxes on the weekend, we still have to build the back panel to give access to collect the eggs .....

5. OliviaDeHav

OliviaDeHav Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:Oh! great idea!!!! Smart people on here!!!

My yahoo mail isn't telling me i have answers on here [​IMG] BAD yahoo! i got them yesterday and not today!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by