should we get a rooster? If so what kind?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 18Hens, Apr 6, 2012.

1. 18Hens

18Hens New Egg

Mar 2, 2012
    Hey all

So we have a flock of 18 hens...mixed breeds. RIRs, Black Australorps, Light Brown Leghorns, Easter Eggers, Light Brahmas, and 1 beloved Rock Cross(I think).

We were thinking about getting a rooster for an attempt to have baby chicks.

However, I have two small kids who play with our chickens daily. Most(12) are totally tame and love to be held and petted and ride around in the back of my kids' power wheels.

I know that a rooster is a hit or miss in terms of temperament.

So which breed? I was thinking either easter egger or brahmas. ALL of my EEs are totally tame. 1 of my 4 brahmas is a total house cat, the others are reluctant to be picked up but will happily stay in your arms once you catch them.

Also...the noise? We have 15 guinea fowl so noise isn't a new concept to us but I fear we are pushing it with our neighbors. Granted we have 16 acres on a dead end dirt road and they are the only other house on this street so it's not like we're in the suburbs but the guineas often cross the street and squawk close to their home. So far they seem fine with the birds- I know becasue I have asked and apologized for the noise many times- but I feel a little guiilty perhaps adding MORE noise.

Anyway...

Rooster? Yes or no?

Which breed seem to have the better chance of being docile?

Thanks!

2. 18Hens

18Hens New Egg

Mar 2, 2012
    Ugh- typing fast. Sorry for all the typos!

3. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Why not a rooster? Lol, I love their crows in the morning and even though ours are aggressive it does help to hold them. This may sound dangerous but I usually hold our roo for a few minutes each day, he's sort of calmed down although he does still thwack our legs pretty good. I've only had 2 breeds of roosters in my life, Polish and Silkie and I have to say our Polish is actually very calm. He only attacks when we come close to his ladies so he's had to deal with us everyday but if I have a stick he'll stay away. Our silkie roo chased anyone and anything and gave me several scars on my ankles. Personally I think it's how you raise them ;) If you hold them alot and personalize them they won't be as aggressive although they still will become protective of their ladies ;)

4. 18Hens

18Hens New Egg

Mar 2, 2012
    This this is what worries me. Our little kids are 5 and 20 months. I can't risk having my little one attacked by a rooster. She loves to chase and pick up the "ladies" and does this daily.

I'm leaning toward no rooster.

5. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    You didn't say if you have bantams or bigs, but as for a roo, i would get a Cochin, Polish or a RIR. They are tame and cuddly. You will end up with mixed breeds, but they are the best choices. They come in both big and bantam. Silkies are great too, tame and cuddly, but they are bantam only.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  6. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Oh...Well since they are so young I would say no rooster for now until they get a bit older to understand etc.

7. 18Hens

18Hens New Egg

Mar 2, 2012
    We have all standard sized hens.

8. Mingming

Mingming Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    NJ
    If your driving distance to NJ (3hrs or so?) if you decide on a rooster you can have one of mine! I know I've got at least two male lavender orpingtons, and my 2 yr old and 12 yr old play with them on a daily basis. I've been heart sick thinking about what to do with them. They're only 9 weeks old right now and love being picked up and playing with my girls. I know their temperament might change as they grow older but it's a thought.... If your interested just let me know!

9. jecombs

jecombs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    I got 5 straight run chicks and ended up with 2 roos. We are not keeping them because my kids are about the same ages as yours, 4 and 22 mo. I had a friend who's 12 yr old got attacked by a roo when he went to gather eggs. The roo had no previously shown any aggression. He got scratched up really bad all over his face. The roo could have gotten his eyes. That's why no roos for us until my kids are older, if ever. You just can't trust a roo.

10. johncv

johncv Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2012
    louisiana
    Silkey! they are small and have a great temperment

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by