1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should we get a rooster?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CheepCheep51, Mar 1, 2014.

1. CheepCheep51

CheepCheep51 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2014
    Hi! So we are getting some chickens in August, and I was wondering if we should get a rooster. We really really want chicks but we're worried that it might be aggressive. I have a lot of brothers and sisters, (I'm 13 and their ages are 6, 9, 16, and 19, and about twice a year were visited by relatives with kids aged 2 and 5) and I really don't want anyone to get hurt if he is aggressive. So far I think that a buff Orpington is the best choice. Are there any other breeds that are nice and calm? Also, would an Orpington be ok in very hot weather?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there and welcome to BYC!

Some roosters can be aggressive, and some are not. And the breed does not always determine the aggressiveness. So you take your chances over all. LOL But roosters are great to have around as they protect the flock, keep the hens from picking on each other and when they are friendly, they are very fun to have around. Hatching chicks is always better than getting them from a hatchery as well. So it is entirely up to you. :)

Good luck in all your chicken adventures!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! They are not very good egg layers, but Cochins and Silkies are two other breeds that are popular pets because they tend to be calm and friendly. Roosters are nice to have around for a lot of reasons, but they can be dangerous to young children, so if you are unsure, I would consider not having a rooster, get one at a later date when you are more experienced at keeping chickens. If you want to hatch eggs, maybe post in your state thread for where people find hatching eggs for sale in your area, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

4. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    Jersey Giants tend to be very calm.

5. CheepCheep51

Feb 28, 2014
    Thank you! I think that we'll see if we can find a rooster on a nearby farm and let our hen stay there for a week or so.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't know that people breed a hen like taking a female dog to a male.

For one thing you don't know if the rooster will attack a strange hen(or vice versa) for another she may bring parasites and diseases back home with her.

A lot of people get silkie hens because they tend to be very good broodies. When they are broody you could slip fertile eggs under them in the nest. They will hatch and raise chicks (of any breed) as though they were their own.

7. CheepCheep51

Feb 28, 2014
    Hi drumstick diva!
    Thank you so much... I didn't think of that. The fertile egg idea sounds perfect, as I can have lots of different breeds that way. Once again, thank you!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. I agree that you might be better off to not get a rooster until you have gained some experience with chickens. Enjoy your birds!

9. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by