Should we give our chicks Marek's vaccination?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hiddenflock, Mar 6, 2014.

1. hiddenflock

hiddenflock Chillin' With My Peeps

We ordered 24 hatching eggs to be shipped the week of the 17th. All of our birds except 1 have been immunized for Marek's (or to prevent the symptoms) but these are our first chickens to hatch. Should we vaccinate them? If so, how do we vaccinate day-olds?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You can order the vaccine online, I believe from some of the major hatcheries and probably JeffersLivestock, maybe even Amazon. It's not necessary to vaccinate simply because some others have been vaccinated, though. I recently read on one of the major hatchery's websites (I've forgotten which) that actually they don't recommend vaccinating small flocks. I'm not sure how they define small flocks -- but I'd think they mean other than large commercial operations, with thousands of birds.

There are pros and cons, I'm sure you realize. In the end, it's a personal choice. I've had chickens, small flocks, off and on for many years, and I've never seen a case of Marek's, or any of the other "chicken diseases" such as MG, etc. I know that many other small flock owners with experience will tell you the same thing. But they can certainly happen to any of us.

3. hiddenflock

Thank you, if not necessary we will probably not vaccinate.

4. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Read the first section (vaccination) in the Marek's FAQ in my signature, then go into your decision fully informed. :)

5. hiddenflock

Thanks for the article!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by