SHOULD we light our coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Fowl Intentions, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Fowl Intentions

Fowl Intentions Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    I've been pouring through all your threads on lighting the coop and am thinking about it. (And you all are a wealth of info.!)

So, now that I know "how," my question is "Should I?" I read on another site that lighting the coop might cause them to molt early, leaving them without feathers during the winter. I don't want that, since we can get some harsh winters here!

I would like to keep their egg production steady. I have 19 hens - just got our first two eggs from them today!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, I too am reading all I can about supplemental light during winter. And so far, I have come to believe that it is not really needed. Chickens have a cycle naturally to lay. If it drops off during winter, so be it. I'm not sure "forcing" them to lay by adding extra light is always a good thing for the chickens. Just my opinion.
    Erik

3. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    You both bring up good points. Here's my take.

Avoid lighting for the purpose of providing heat. Your chickens (fully feathered) will be just fine in really cold weather. You don't want drafts or too much moisture build up in the air.

Lighting to increase the egg production:

I've heard both sides, one that says - give them a break - another that says, a 40 watt bulb for a 100 sq foot coop, is enough light to encourage laying. Have the light come on early enough that natural sunset is what your birds go to sleep with. Chickens don't see very well in the dark so they like to get to the roost during dusk. Should your timer turn the lights off suddenly, and your birds are 'left in the dark' .. lol .. they can get annoyed [​IMG]

I think we each need to look at why we want to keep chickens and use light accordingly. I totally see where fireguy56 is coming from.

I have lights in my coops. I sell my eggs for profit. I need the production.

VF

4. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Quote:

5. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    Quote:I believe it is the opposite. . . chickens start molting in the late summer/fall because the natural lighting decreases. Then they have an opportunity to complete their molt and get their thicker feather coat prior to winter. I just increased some artificial light in the hope they would stop molting sooner -- i haven't had eggs now for weeks due to their molting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by