Should we Plant Winter Wheat or Rye?

swampducks

Overrun With Guineas
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
Barton City, MI
DH has about 2 acres that he's been thinking of planting with either winter wheat or winter rye, harvesting next year, and then planting with oats. He wants to know which is better for chickens.

I can't find a lot of info on feeding rye to chickens, but as a feed I've found rye is susceptible to ergot, a fungus which makes some feed companies leery of using it.

Wheat has more protein than rye by about 4% and more starch.

Anyone have any suggestions? Right now I'm leaning towards wheat.

Since the wheat is higher in protien, I'd go with the wheat. Besides I know the chickens love wheat but am not so sure on rye. Though they eat about anything.
big_smile.png
Have fun!!!!

ERGOT is the base form of LSD as well, i would stick to feeding your chickens wheat, unless you want some Psychodellic chickens running around. Hey they can't be that bad!! PE-KOK !!

Quote:
DH says the wheat comes off the same time up here. He also says his dad has planted oats that late with no problem, but he'll check to be sure.

Otherwise, he'll just plant more wheat.

Looks like wheat is the winner.

Although chickens chasing a psychedelic high could be pretty amusing
wink.png

I'm surprised you can grow winter wheat as far north as you are. We grow winter wheat here in central Kansas and I always thought that where you are you'd have to grow spring wheat. Live and learn I guess. :) Where we are if we don't have our oats in by March it gets too hot for it before it matures. I suppose you're cool enough during the summer tho that it has time to mature.

Quote:
I got the scoop from my FIL yesterday while we watched DH pack down the wheat seed. After this is harvested in July he should plant rape or something else similar. Then in spring the following year plant oats, and then winter wheat again that fall. So it's sort of a 2 year long process.

Since the wheat is higher in protien, I'd go with the wheat. Besides I know the chickens love wheat but am not so sure on rye. Though they eat about anything.
big_smile.png
Have fun!!!!
I'm very green when it comes to grasses. I was going to grow some winter rye for them in the run but now I've read all of this and it seems wheat is the better option. Is there a particular wheat to grow and what % of protein should I look for? How about fodder? Is that just considered a "treat"

Back
Top Bottom