Should we return baby chick to his mommy?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MAC NUGGET, Oct 3, 2016.

1. MAC NUGGET

MAC NUGGET Just Hatched

Oct 3, 2016
    Good day All.

Ok so here is the story:)

On Thursday evening we went to fetch my mom at her work. They have a few chickens that walk around the property and do what chicken do:)

Unfortunitly for one baby chick it was all alone. I looked for his mom and other chicks but could not find any of them.
    Im sure they had all gone to bed as it was already after 18:30 and dark outside.

So we decided that the best thing was to rescue the chick as he was bound to land up as someones dinner. They are right on a mountain side, so there are snakes and felcons around.

It has been 4 days that we have been looking after this little one and needless to say that the whole family loves him.

Today mom went back to work and she called to say that she located the mother Hen and her brood.
    The question we now have is :
    1: = Do we take him/ her back to her.?
    2:= Will she reject this little one as it has now been handled by Humans?

The last thing i want is for this little one to be kicked out again and left alone.

Any help anyone could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    General advice is to introduce a chick to a mother hen on an evening time, once they are settled in for the night and then monitor whats going on. If you are able to do this, then fine. If not, then its a risk IMO. If it works, the chick will be a lot happier with its kin, as opposed to you you keeping it. It will be interesting to see what other members think.

1 person likes this.
  3. MAC NUGGET

MAC NUGGET Just Hatched

Oct 3, 2016
    Thanks for the info CTKen

Unfortunitly im not able to see what happens after i put it back. Its sooo risky:( Will be able to hang around for maybe 30 min.
    But i agree with you that he will be alot happier with his mom then with us.

Will see what other say, But thanks again, Specially about introducing them in the evening.

Kind regards

4. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Here's what I would do. An hour before dark, locate the broody and her brood. Watch and wait for them all to start settling in for the night. There's a ritual they go through. The chicks do a sort of trilling or squeaking sound and are scrambling to get under mama.

This is a good time to slip the prodigal chick under mama with the others. Don't worry about "smell". Chickens do not operate on odor. She won't notice the chick has been around humans, but if the chick was abandoned for some reason, genetic defects the hen has noticed perhaps, then it will be immediately rejected. It will happen in the first few minutes.

1 person likes this.
  5. GingersHuman

GingersHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2016
    NC
    I would find the hen, wait til dark and slip the chick underneath from the back of the hen. If you could be there in the morning to watch, even better, then you could see whether the chick is accepted or not.

6. MAC NUGGET

MAC NUGGET Just Hatched

Oct 3, 2016
    Thanks for all the Advice.

Will go hunting for mommy tonight. Lets hope for the best.

:)

1 person likes this.
  7. MAC NUGGET

MAC NUGGET Just Hatched

Oct 3, 2016
    Great news!!!! Little one is safe and sound with mommy :)

Had a mission to get him high enough in the tree with all his other kin. But he was sooo happy.

He keep talking all the time. His poor mom was getting the whole story of what he went through the last few days:)
    He even managed to push one of his other siblings out of the way so that he could get as close as possible to his mommy.

Thanks you all for the advice, Will never be able to thank you enough.

Have a blessed day:)

8. GingersHuman

GingersHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2016
    NC
    That's great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by