Should we start to sell coops??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by greenpeeps, May 16, 2010.

1. greenpeeps

greenpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Greenford, Ohio
    My DH built me a wonderful chicken coop and now were thinking of building them to sell to others. There's a feedstore close to us that has one style coop and they seem to sell at least two a week. They are nice to look at but they really aren't the built the best, and their going for $1000.00. I'm thinking we should build a garden coop and see how that goes.

Here's my coop. When we first starting building, we were going to cover it with vinyl siding, but as we progressed, of course I changed my mind, [​IMG]

Any suggestions, or takers?? Oh, were near Youngstown, Ohio. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  2. illegal avian

illegal avian Cooped up

Apr 21, 2010
    Third World, Texas
    If you want to DELETE my posts fine! Please STOP EDITING them!

DO NOT CENSOR and rearrange what I write where it completely changes the meaning to fit your politics!

Last edited: May 16, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  3. calista

calista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    Greenpeeps, I agree with Illegal Avian on the success of your venture hinging on MARKETING SKILLS -- and only secondarily on the quality of the product you are selling. (Look at the inferior product your local feed store is selling, even though people could do much better with YOUR product.) Incidentally, do you think Illegal Avian was imbibing anything when he/she wrote that great reply??? [​IMG]

So there's a niche there just waiting to be filled by DH and his impressive skills. So here's what I'd do (dredged up from vague memories of getting all A's in my long-ago marketing classes):

1. Determine your target group and get the word out. Photos, photos, photos -- each step of the building process, right up to the installed end product with its happy residents. Plaster your beautiful color flyers at feed stores (hee, hee), the county Extension Office, farmers' markets, canneries, gardening shops -- you get the idea.

2. Duplicate this effort in the virtual world -- Craigslist, Ebay, You Tube, your own website, etc.

3. Overcome the initial inertia of possible customers thinking, "Jeez, that looks so complicated and heavy, and I don't have a truck to get it to my place, and I couldn't afford it, anyway, blah, blah, blah..." by having DH consider building the coop in partitions that anybody with a screwdriver and a hammer could put together -- a KIT like this:

http://www.pineharbor.com/how_to_build_a_shed_1.htm

(Most people have at one time in their lives purchased and eventually assembled one of those cheapo furniture pieces from Wally World with "some assembly required.") [​IMG]

4. Offer a payment plan with a paid deposit and credit references. Or consider trades and bartering for what you're looking for. Offer free delivery and setup for an additional fee.

5. Present your new venture as a possible interview on local radio and television stations.

These ideas are just the first ones to come to mind, and I think your DH should GO FOR IT. Good Luck! [​IMG]

4. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I agree that marketing is EVERYTHING! I'm also wondering about vents and windows which are crucial for the health of the the occupants -- otherwise, nice-looking coop.

Jenny

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Vents and windows.

6. illegal avian

illegal avian Cooped up

Apr 21, 2010
    Third World, Texas
    Quote:This is directed at the politically correct busybody with no sense of humor and the capacity to edit posts.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:You can be certain that someone reported the original post. I thought about it and then figured someone else would... and they did.

The moderators will only edit when reports have been made. Believe it or not, they are only trying to help.

8. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Yep, 'tain't got no windows er venting! Call the architecture police!

9. illegal avian

illegal avian Cooped up

Apr 21, 2010
    Third World, Texas
    Quote:You can be certain that someone reported the original post. I thought about it and then figured someone else would... and they did.

The moderators will only edit when reports have been made. Believe it or not, they are only trying to help.

Well, your boycott anyone who boycotts Arizon tagline should be in the compost heap pretty soon if that's the case.

Between you and me... I agree with you... but if I say that this will get DELETED too.

1 person likes this.
  10. AtholCoop

AtholCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    North Idaho
    For what it's worth, I started out building coops for me and only me. Then some friends decided to pay me to build coops for them. One thing led to another and I've built and sold 6 coops in the last 12 months. The vast majority of these I've sold to total strangers via Craigslist. In almost every case I sell the coop inside a week of posting it.

Every single one of them I build with the idea that if it doesn't sell I'll just keep it, in other words I'm not going crazy buying the materials and assembling 20 coops and then hoping they all sell.

The only advice I can give you is to focus on coops that are transportable by pickup. There seems to be a real niche in the market for coops smaller in size that aren't the total junk the feed stores typically sell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by