Should we suppress laying in this Orpie?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ASimon, Aug 16, 2013.

1. ASimon

ASimon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    Winona Minnesota
    I have a Buff Orpington that is going through her second (possibly third) round of being what I'd guess is egg bound. We give warm baths, ky jelly treatments and antibiotics after she passes a yolk and we find white, soft eggshell lining hanging from her cloaca.

She is on the porch with me right now just standing there with her head down and her eyes half closed. Poor Gilly, meds are on the way!! If she survives, I'm wondering if we should suppress laying (I think there is a drug people give their pet birds that keeps them from laying??) Has anyone done this? Are Orpingtons more susceptible to this than other breeds?

I have started giving them a little yogurt in their feed. What should I do? My farm friends and family are making fun of me for paying so much attention to a chicken. Sigh

2. Dartanion

Dartanion Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Believe me I haven't heard the end of when I freaked out when my hen got hurt during breeding.I have stopped one of my hens from laying with drugs and she was never the same.It's like stopping a bird from flying,sure you can clip there wings but are they as happy?In my experience no,but other might not feel the same.Keep me posted about your hen and don't let people get to you.:)

3. ASimon

Jun 27, 2013
    Winona Minnesota
    That is great advice - thank you for the feedback! I never thought of it that way - that not laying would make her unhappy. We only have 4 chickens after losing two of our originals (one to the same issue and another from feeding something we should not have (suet). Feeling so badly for my little gal! I can't wait til my husband gets home with the antibiotic. I am not a big believer in drugs (we feed organic) but I do not want her to sit here and suffer. Fingers crossed!

4. Dartanion

Aug 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Is she eating and drinking?

5. ASimon

Jun 27, 2013
    Winona Minnesota
    A little, yes. That is making us feel much better. I mixed a little yogurt in with her feed. She seems to really like it.

6. Dartanion

Aug 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    I'm not telling you what to do but I would mix some 9 Lives hard cat food in with her food.Just a handful for 3-5 days,it will give her protein.You use your best judge though.

7. ASimon

Jun 27, 2013
    Winona Minnesota
    Do you think yogurt would do the same thing? I will look at the protein content in the yogurt. I appreciate any and all suggestions!

8. Dartanion

Aug 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    It could but there more of a chance of her getting a clogged vent,which can make her dehydrate.You do what you think is best.I can suggest options but when it comes down to it it's your hen.I hope she gets better.:)

9. ASimon

Jun 27, 2013
    Winona Minnesota
    How do I know if she has a clogged vent? I did do the old gloved finger / ky check to check for an egg. Didn't feel anything. She is pooping, but it is very runny.

10. poodlechicks

poodlechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    NY
    How are your supplementing calcium in their diet? Sometimes, recurring egg binding can be a consequence of not enough calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by