Should we use Manna Pro Poultry Conditioner for our 4H project?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by PikeCo, Jun 26, 2011.

1. PikeCo

PikeCo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Ohio
    Yesterday I bought some Manna Pro Poultry Conditioner. I am thinking about using it the final week or so of our 4H broiler project in hopes that it will help them to feather out and just to enhance their overall appearance. I have never used it, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this product. It has a high fat content(6%) so I want to make sure we don't overuse it. It looks and smells like Calf Manna to me. Any suggestions?

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Haven't used it and don't show, but I would caution to be careful not to give your broilers to much fat risking CHF.

3. PikeCo

Jun 16, 2011
    Ohio
    They are currently on 30% protein and 3% fat. I was thinking about just mixing their current feed with 10-20% of the conditioner for the last week. Do you think that would be too much? This may seem like a silly question, but what does CHF stand for? Thanks.

4. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    Quote:CHF = Congestive Heart Failure

WOW...30% protein? How old are they? It's the protein that packs on the fat.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I wouldn't use that much protein if I was you, that is a lot. This year I used Purina start and grow non-med. All of my CX's feathered really fast using it. The last batch I dispatched had no fat under their skin and the smallest was 6.5 lbs. I actually have one in the freezer that weighs 12 lbs with no fat also, (he was 10 weeks) All the birds from last year had a ton of fat and I was feeding them a non-specified broiler feed from a local hatchery. So I guess their is a difference with feed. (Both are 18% also) So goes to show you, sometimes cheaper isn't always better. I looked up Manna Pro Poultry Conditioner it only has 22% protien so you should be alright with it. I would cut them down to 18% for the last couple weeks. Good Luck
    Michele

6. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    30% protien??? Is this normal for fair birds? Just curious; how old are they and what do they weigh?

7. PikeCo

Jun 16, 2011
    Ohio
    I should have known what you meant by CHF. I have heard of some of our friends having issues with what appeared to be CHF. They are only eleven days old right now. I am not sure what would be the best feeding plan, but everyone I know that shows really well in the heavy classes uses 26-30% protein. I Think some of it has to do with the fact that we only have six weeks from hatching until the show to get them ready, so they are really young birds. I know that it is alot of protein, but they don't seem to get fat on it. I am pretty confident that they would get too fat, or overdone if we had them much longer. I do plan on cutting them back some before the show. The one year we used stricktly broiler feed at 18% they were just as big, but seemed much softer. We have been close every year, but can't seem to get them really uniform. Our fair takes a pen of two, but each child is only allotted six birds, and they all come from the same supplier. Last year we had four hens out of twelve chicks, so we were even more limited. We usually end up right at 17.5 lbs. live weight for the two and that is usually close to the weight that seems to win at our fair. I really appreciate the advice and I am open to any suggestions or comments. Thank you so much!!

8. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    check bruntys stickie on the top regarding how he feeds, but again it's not for show.

9. PikeCo

Jun 16, 2011
    Ohio
    I gave them just a few pellets of the Manna Pro Poultry conditioner today as a top dress (not very much at all) just to see if they liked it. They went crazy over it. These are by far the most active Cornish X chicks we have had. They started sparring at about seven days, not fighting, and now they are trying out their wings at twelve days old. A couple of them can flap their wings and stay off the ground for three or four feet. None of our others have ever even attempted that. In the past, they just sat there like big fat rocks. We are tickled with them so far. So much fun to have, and really sweet animals, they all come to the coop door like they want petted. I think they enjoy human contact.

10. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:CHF = Congestive Heart Failure

WOW...30% protein? How old are they? It's the protein that packs on the fat.

Protein does not put fat on. Protein builds muscle. If it is not used, any excess is pooped out. Chickens can not store protein. Carbs and fat put on fat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by