1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should you keep 2 roosters with 20 hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicklets81, Mar 23, 2017.

1. chicklets81

chicklets81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2017
    I have 10 hens now, but am adding more to my flock. I am adding another 10 per an Easter hatch I am setting this weekend. I have 1 rooster already, a bantam cochin roo. I want to have fertile eggs, but I don't want them all to be cochin.

Is it ok to have 2 roosters per 20 hens? Or should I only have 1?

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Yes, I would have more than one rooster. I personally would have three roosters with 20 hens if your wanting to breed and hatch chicks.

3. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    What you are asking/saying is you are planning all mixed chicks but rather have them mixed from two different roosters---in other words All kept in the same pen/coop/place? Adding another rooster to the flock can lead to some serious fighting. Might or might not get alone. If I am planning to have 2 or 3 roosters in the same area--- I raise them together then I have better luck keeping them together. Just give it a try and be redy to do something if they start fighting.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I would choose to have only one. My roo easily covers 24 hens, and would cover more if only he could find them.

1 person likes this.
  5. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I have had one rooster covering 18 hens and I hatched the eggs they layed---most all were fertile.

6. chicklets81

chicklets81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2017
    Well, my current issue is, he is a bantam. When I added cochins to my flock last spring, I didn't realize they were bantams, when all of my other hens are regular size.

The ameraucanas I found are a smaller size, so they are more similar to bantams, but the orpingtons, astrolorps RIR and BR hens are all twice the size of the cochin roo....

I haven't seen him mating with any of the larger hens.

I don't think the roo I have will mate with larger hens.....

(unless I'm wrong about that and I just don't see him doing it)

So, if my roo will only mate with my 1 bantam hen and 2 ameraucanas, hes not covering all of the larger hens, and I will only have a few fertile eggs.

Am I wrong about this?

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by