Should you take the golfball out once they start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kayri, Feb 1, 2008.

1. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    My chickens have been laying dependably in their nests for the last 1-3 months. Once the hens get the hang of it, should you take the golfball out? ever?

Sometimes I think that maybe they have to warm the ball up before they lay so it takes them a long time to lay because it takes forever for the golfball to warm up?

Or maybe I am just thinking about it too much. .
    thanks for your thoughts.

Kay

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Kay, One of my coops I have RIR that are 2 yrs old. I leave the fake egg in there...just for a reminder...especially when I clean the nest boxes out.

3. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    mine stay in 24/7........johnny

4. spottedtail

spottedtail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    I always keep a fake egg in each nest.

I go by a theory that if they see all the eggs are gone, they may lay somewhere outside the nestbox to hide them.
    This theory also assumes they can't count.

spot

5. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    Thanks for your answers, I'll leave something in there.
    Kay

6. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I had fake eggs in and they layed them clear accross the coop next to the door. Maybe I should put them back in the beutiful nest boxes I made with my sweat and tears....[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I leave a fake egg in the nests. Will always find the rest bundled up next to it.

8. Backyard Buddies

Backyard Buddies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I also leave mine in there. My girls just came back into lay after molting and are having to learn all over again where to lay. Silly girls. But, you're right. I sat and watched one of my girls today as she gently turned the golf ball and tucked it underneath. Goofball! After all this time, they're still fooled! [​IMG]

9. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    I usually leave my fake ceramic eggs in the nest boxes, but forgot to put them back in last month after I did a complete coop clean out. They all like to lay where there is already eggs looking for that magic clutch number, I guess. My 15 pullets seem to use just one - two nest boxes. I'll probable put the fake ones back in there. I just forgot to do it. My pullets are almost 10 months old and starting laying back in Sept.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by