1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shouldn't 6-8 month old roosters be good to eat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Peeper7, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Peeper7

Peeper7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    I recently had this years roos processed. The guy who did it kept saying "they're only good for soup." I roasted one in a cooking bag and did not find it tough although it had a little off-taste which may be normal.
    Do different breeds taste different? I had RIR, EE, Barred Rock, marans',

Any thoughts? Thanks

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    You can eat them any way you want. They aren't nearly as plump as meat birds but are good anyways. If you roast or fry them soak them in a brine for a day.

Old hens are only good for soup, not young roos.

Edited to add:
    The different taste is normal. Keep in mind the birds you buy in stores are 6 to 8 weeks old and never move.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  3. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    I definately suggest a 12 to 24 hr brine for roosters. They are quite muscley young boys, and the brine helps tender them up.

4. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Quote:What do you use for a brine? You too, PC. Water and salt? what are the ratio?

5. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    For the turkey yesterday, I used 2/3 sugar plus 2/3 cup salt and peppercorns, allspice, rosemary, and 2 bay leaves. I brought 8 cups of water to near boil, added the sugar/salt/spices, then cooled and added 4 cups ice water. This would do two-three large roosters or cut in half for just one.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Also remember if they have run around loose and free they might be a bit stringy.

7. Peeper7

Peeper7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    The meat was tender (? slow cooked in cooking bag), maybe a touch stringy but not bothersome.

It's only the off-taste that gets me just a little. I suppose the brine would help that too? What is the difference between "brine" and "marinade"

So those roosters aren't really considered "old" are they?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What do you mean by off taste? Gamey? Home grown chickens, rooster or hen, will never taste like their bland commercial counter parts that have be injected with salt water. Brining can tenderize and impart flavor. A brine is not a marinade. You can use the same brine as I use for turkey if you want. Check my website for the brine post on the front page.

9. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    My roos thighs and legs were a bit tough. I opted out the easy way a week ago by breasting (and freezing) out the roos and then roasting the legs, thighs and rest of the body for chicken stock. Then mushed it up for the critters. Still no waste, which is what I try to avoid. I hate wasting anything.

10. doubled

doubled Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Madrid, New Mexico
    Quote:both are liquids used to tenderize and flavor meat.

the difference is that a brine must include salt. that is the definition of a brine. in it's simplest form it is just salt and water.
    Marinades always contain some acidic liquid like lemon juice or vinegar to tenderize the foods, and may contain spices or herbs to add flavor. a brine may also contain spices and herbs to flavor the meat.

technically you could brine and marinade at the same time...

i would never brine vegetables for say kebabs but i would sure marinate them...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by