shouldn't I be hearing peeping by day 20???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by my4ladies, Aug 1, 2010.

1. my4ladies

my4ladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    My silkie egg is on day 20 and nothing is happening at all! Shouldn't I be hearing peeping at least...or does that happen only after they've pipped through the membrane and into the air sac?

I'm starting to lose hope [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Sometimes you don't hear anything and an hour or two later the chick is out, other times they cheep away for many hours before pipping.
    Try not to worry at this stage.....day 20 is early,

Sandie

3. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

organicfoltzfamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    I've hatched out a lot of eggs this past year and it's always what the chicks feel like doing.

Some start peeeping on day 18 and some start peeping on day 20 or 21.

Don't freak out this is normal, unless you've had an unusual spike or loss in temperature.

Good luck!

4. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    day 21 is supposed to be the day. but mine started pipping at day 19, and i have 4 hatched today, day 20.

so you're should be happening any moment now...GOOD LUCK [​IMG]

5. my4ladies

my4ladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    Well thank you all. That's good to know at least. I'm just not seeing anything happening at all. It can't really roll b/c it's propped on a 1/2" square (I said 1/4" in another post:/) and can't roll....but I thought maybe at least it would shake a tad whenever it pecks at the egg. I just can't help but feel like it's....the 'd' word.

I've been incubating at 102 for a still air, but on day 18 it went down to 100.2. The humidity is perfect and I didn't want to mess with it only to change the humidity....and a couple people here told me to leave it too. I hope that's not considered a temp drop.

Quote:I keep telling myself that...but ever since a couple people told me that incubating at higher temps in their still-airs led to day 19 hatches I've been expecting it too. I've also read where a few people say silkies hatch early, but then other say that they don't....so that's been only in the back of my head.

[​IMG] WAITING SUCKS [​IMG]

6. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    yesterday i was hoovering over the bator every 10 minutes! my fiance thinks I lost my mind...HAHA

it's all ok i'm sure. i have some that pipped yesterday and still haven't hatched. and others who weren't even pipped last night, and are almost dry this morning! crazy how they all work.

can't wait to see pics of your new babies!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by