Shouldn't it be blue/green?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FabulousMandy, Sep 30, 2009.

1. FabulousMandy

FabulousMandy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    My EE laid her first egg today. Once she jumped out of the nest box I opened the coop and was shocked to find a very small cream colored egg. I know that EE's don't conform to any standard, and I knew I was in for a surprise as far as color is concerned, but cream? Really? How normal is this? And, since I'm extremely disappointed, is there any chance she'll ever lay a blue/green egg or are they going to be cream forever?

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I've heard that what they lay is what they'll continue to lay. [​IMG] I'd be disappointed too, and might be. I have 3 EE's that I'm waiting on and I keep reading these posts about cream and tan eggs....Sure hope at least one of them gives me some pretty colored eggs. Do you have any other EE's or is this your only one?

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have had 2 bantam ee's and both of them lay cream-colored eggs. Such is the dilemma with EEs. About the only way to 'guarantee' that the eggs will be blue/green is to only hatch eggs that are blue/green, from hens that were bred by a roo that hatched from a blue/green egg. Also, the comb seems to be linked to the egg color, pea-combed birds are more likely to lay blue/green eggs, but it's still not a guarantee.

If you want to be sure you have blue or green eggs, get true ameraucanas or araucanas [​IMG]

Her's will be cream forever [​IMG]

4. granolamommie

granolamommie Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    I have an EE that lays pinkish/tan eggs. Very disappointing as that was the whole reason I got the EE was for funky eggs!!

5. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Is she from a hatchery? If so that would be the problem.

6. toyzbox

toyzbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Crestview, Fl
    So if you get an EE from a hatchery they will most likely lay tan eggs?
    I've never heard that before. I have 6 that are 24 weeks. I'm not sure any of them have started yet as I have 26 laying hens so it's kinda hard to tell who is doing what but a few of the eggs have been sorta tan with speckles on them. I hope that it's not my EEs. Like everyon else that was the whole reason I got them.

7. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

EEs do seem to start a bit later, and the shell color is not guaranteed at all. I have two that are laying, three pullets that haven't started yet. Of the two that are laying one lays a pale pale barely bluish colored egg, the other a pinkish tan color, (not actually pink mind you, just not brown or normal tan) The pullets are still deciding! [​IMG] They're all hatchery birds from Mt Healthy in Ohio. Good healthy birds overall though so I'm not complaining one bit.

8. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    yes Hatchery EE's are a mix and can lay a pinkish, green, or blue egg and it is very common to get a pink or tan egg laying EE. The only breeds (well maybe not the only) that will garantee a blue/green egg are Araucanas and Ameraucanas and those you would hve to get fromn a breeder as hatcheries dont carry the real thing, they all carry Easter Eggers. But not all will lay tan eggs most will lay blue or green, is she your only one?

9. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I have 6 hatchery EE's and got 4 green eggs yesterday. Good luck with the rest of your EE's.. I'd bet that you get some more color from them.

10. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Well, I guess you'll just have to get a few more chickens so you can get pretty colored eggs! That's what I did [​IMG] [​IMG] I had a gorgeous EE hen and roo. The hen (obviously [​IMG]) layed pink tinted eggs. On another note, just be happy yours are laying! [​IMG] I'm lucky if I get 1 egg a day right now, and hubby keeps bringing up the fact that now we have more chickens but less eggs [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by