Shouldn't she be pooping even a little bit?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Country4ever, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    My 11+ year old hen got very weak. I discovered she was covered in mites, which I'm treating with wood ashes......and it seems to be getting rid of them. She's not very interested in eating or drinking. I've tried lots of different liquids and foods. She pecks a little at it. But.......for at least a week, she's hardly pooped at all.

Besides the mite problem, I'm considering that she might have a mass inside her. Her abdomen is very soft. I realize if she doesn't eat much, she won't poop much, but I feel like she should be pooping more. In fact, it's hardly ever visible. And under her bedding is dry....so she's not even losing liquid.

Seems like if she were obstructed, she'd be swollen. I'll check out her vent tomorrow, but I really don't think I'll find anything...........unless its a big mass (tumor) in there.

Any insights or suggestions for a hen who isn't pooping? Maybe I'm expecting too much, when she isn't eating much.

Thanks!

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi. 11 years old is really really old! I would make sure all the bugs are gone. If not, try using something like Sevin dust that is meant for killing mites and lice.

Feel her crop and see if it's ever got food in it. Is her breast bone prominent enough to pinch with 2 fingers? Has she been wormed within the last 6 months? To entice someone to eat, I usually make a wet mash from the chicken feed. They all seem to love it.

She may just be shutting down from old age. But she's still a very lucky hen to live this long!

3. Country4ever

Oct 26, 2007
    Thanks Seminolewind!

Her crop is soft, and her breastbone is very obvious. She's lost a lot of weight.
    My chickens have never been wormed, and I don't think I'd risk it at her age and weakness now. But......would putting food grade DE in something she might eat be okay to do? I'm thinking that might be gentler than a chemical.
    Thanks for your input.

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    It would be good if you could get a stool sample tested for worms. Chemical wormer would be less deadly than a worm load IF she had worms. DE is useless when wet and its very wet inside a chicken. A little bit of seven kills the mites and lice instantly.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    11 years sure is old for a hen! I bet she's had a wonderful life; unfortunately, her body may finally be failing. Some foods that most chickens like to eat are moistened chicken feed, mealworms, and bread. I would also be concerned about her having worms. Though some people say otherwise, DE is basically useless as a wormer. If possible, I would get a chemical wormer like Valbazen or Safeguard and dose her with it. I think worms are more as stressful to a bird than a wormer.

Getting rid of her mites is also important, since those can suck energy from birds and make them anemic. If the wood ashes don't do the trick, I'd use Sevin dust.

1 person likes this.
  6. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You have a point about questioning worming since she is old and weak. But I think she could get some relief from dusting her with Sevin. But don't let her breathe it in. Blood sucking bugs can really suck a lot of blood out and make an animal weak.
    I would also feed her all her favorite foods.

7. stressed823

stressed823 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    Hi...I was wondering after many posts have mentioned to worm with Valbazen or Safegard,what is the dose on these and how are they administered,on skin paste in mouth,Sorry but very confused on the use of wormers.Thanks

8. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi. Safeguard or Valbazen are given in the mouth. I use small squares of bread that have soaked up a dose and the chickens eat it happily. Dawg53 (the worm expert) just pulls on their waddles and they open their mouth and he puts it in.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you take her to a vet? If not, you should consider tube feeding her. Tube feeding won't cure her, but it will perk her up and buy more time to figure out what's wrong. Honestly, at her age I would be very suspicious of cancer.

I am available by phone if you need help tubing.

-Kathy

10. Country4ever

Oct 26, 2007
    Thanks everyone.

I don't want to tube feed her, as she fights it and gets so out of breath. But....I'm seeing a little bit of progress. I try different foods for her every day. Sometimes she just lays in them!
    I saw her eating a little of the chicken crumbles.....which is good.
    I re-dusted her yesterday with the wood ashes. It really wears her out. I didn't even have any mites on me afterwards.......which is a huge difference from how many I had on me last week.

So.....I'm just going to continue with what I'm doing.
    Thanks for all your suggestions! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by