1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shouldn't something be happening by now?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by naturemom, Jun 20, 2008.

1. naturemom

naturemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    Today is day 28 for my Welsh Harlequin duck eggs. They've wiggled once in a while over the past 2 days, but not today (as far as I have seen) and no pips so far. I read that it's normal for some to pip as early as 48 hours before the hatch date, so now that today is supposed to be hatching day I an getting really worried that they are dead [​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've never hatch out ducks but hear they can take from 25 to 32 days for some...your temps and humidity may have played a factor in being too low...so don't give up hope...

3. naturemom

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    Well, it's evening of day 28 and still no pips, but one of them just moved, so there is still hope!

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Fingers crossed for you!.........

5. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I hope they hatch! They have a beautiful name-would love to see fluffy pics!

6. naturemom

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    Well, I think I've figured out the problem. I started out with 2 alcohol thermometers-the one that came with the incubator, and another one with a hygrometer on it. They were reading vastly different temps, so I decided to go with the one that came with the bator because the people I borrowed it from had 2 successful hatches with it. It was reading higher than the other one.
    Well, just now dh gave me a digital thermometer from his darkroom equipment that he says is accurate. I lowered the probe through one of the vent holes and it is reading just under 100 degrees-too low for a still air. So maybe they'll hatch late. I hope.
    Should I raise them temp a bit now, or leave it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by