Shouldn't they be laying by now?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bigsteve80, Nov 11, 2014.

1. bigsteve80

bigsteve80 New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    Silsbee, Texas
    I have 8 ameraucana and 9 buff orphington hens (plus 2 amer. and a buff rooster, a guinea hen and a guinea cock). I got the chicks from the feed store on 5/7 (I assume they hatched that week), so they're all 6+ months old. The guineas I got as keets a couple of weeks later from a coworker. The roosters are definitely mature (doing their thing), but I have yet to see an egg. Were they too late getting started, and the fall lighting has messed them up? They're not molting, other than one scissor-beaked hen. Should I give up hope until the spring?

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Don't give up. Pretty typical behavior. I would expect most will be laying by the end of the month. The daylight has messed them up.

3. glandongirl

glandongirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2014
    Orange County CA
    I have one barred rock that I got about the same time as u did - May 12. I had three originally but I was raising one for my friend and then she decided to take two. Since my coop was too small I decided to try with one only. She hadn't laid an egg yet and gas spent the last week moping and stays in her nest most of the time. She comes out to eat but has no interest in free range now. She did have a altercation with a big crow at about same time as when I gave away the other two. Is she trying to lay or us she sick or is she depressed? Should I get her a other pullet ? I do like the buffs and thought I might do that originally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by